40 oz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior

Reaction score
Anybody ever bottle in a 40oz bottle? I was wondering if I can find a cap for it if it would be able to hold the pressure of bottle carbonation.

budbottle.jpg

Yes you can. What cap type originally came on it? A metal twist off or a metal screw off (hope the difference is clear). If it's the twist off, you should be able to use a regular top on a bench capper. If it's the screw off, I've seen where people reuse the cap multiple times and don't have issues with losing carb as long as it is nice and tightly screwed on. If you're really Worried about possibly losing carb, you could always use the cap and wax dip em.

Yes you can. What cap type originally came on it? A metal twist off or a metal screw off (hope the difference is clear). If it's the twist off, you should be able to use a regular top on a bench capper. If it's the screw off, I've seen where people reuse the cap multiple times and don't have issues with losing carb as long as it is nice and tightly screwed on. If you're really Worried about possibly losing carb, you could always use the cap and wax dip em.
Thank's for the info, any information or link about the wax?

Question is, do you really want to buy a bunch of those bottles just to dump them and fill with your beer? 32oz bottles are easy to find and you can usually drink what comes in those (lagunitas).

Question is, do you really want to buy a bunch of those bottles just to dump them and fill with your beer? 32oz bottles are easy to find and you can usually drink what comes in those (lagunitas).

I can see bottling one or two 40's, makes bottling easier and you can bring them to parties/gatherings to share your beer
. One of my friends keg's and sometimes has 5.5 gallons so he'll bottle the extra in 40's.

I wouldn't recommend bottling exclusively in 40's, anytime you wanted a beer you'd get damn near drunk ( at least I would).

Are you filling these bottles from a keg or naturally carbonating in the bottle? It is possible these bottles may have glass that is thinner than the typical commercial long neck. Natural carbonation may produce higher pressures than these bottles can withstand.

Are you filling these bottles from a keg or naturally carbonating in the bottle? It is possible these bottles may have glass that is thinner than the typical commercial long neck. Natural carbonation may produce higher pressures than these bottles can withstand.

That is why I posted the tread in the first place, I will be adding corn sugar and carbonating in bottle. I usually use 22oz bottles but don't have enough and I don't want to buy more.

I am not buying the bottles, I have a neighbor that drinks these 40oz budweisers and I asked him to save the bottles and caps so try them when it is time to bottle. I was curious if they can withstand the pressure of carbonation in bottle. I have tried 1 liter seltzer bottles and was not happy with the carbonation.

I wouldn't take the risk that this glass would hold the pressures developed during natural carbonation. The bottle may be like growlers with thin glass in parts of the shaped areas.

Back