4 inch krausen, is this normal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaidonjin

Reaction score
I did a Munton's IPA Bitter a week ago, I used a 3.3lb briess light liquid malt extract. I has been a week and it has about a 4inch foam crown sitting on top of my beer,is this normal? I wanted to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle, I am afraid to disturb the foam to take a hydrometer reading,which I don't need one because I am leaving it in fermenter. Will the foam drop to the bottom?None of my other brews did this. O.G. was 1050 and I used a safale-05 yeast.Also, this was the first time using liquid malt as I use mostly DME. First time I have used spring water, I have always used steam distilled drinking water.

It's reasonably normal if you're fermenting a little bit warm (72 or so).

Checking your gravity before the krausen falls is usually overkill. Just wait for the three weeks and you'll be fairly certain you're at your FG before you take the first sample.

I did a Munton's IPA Bitter a week ago, I used a 3.3lb briess light liquid malt extract. I has been a week and it has about a 4inch foam crown sitting on top of my beer,is this normal? I wanted to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle, I am afraid to disturb the foam to take a hydrometer reading,which I don't need one because I am leaving it in fermenter. Will the foam drop to the bottom?None of my other brews did this. O.G. was 1050 and I used a safale-05 yeast.Also, this was the first time using liquid malt as I use mostly DME. First time I have used spring water, I have always used steam distilled drinking water.

Yup it will be fine a healthy fermentation. pitched my blonde last night has 4 inches of krausen easy :mug:

Crusty is normal for IPAs. There is a lot more hop residue in those beers than in normal ales, so it tends to thicken up the krausen some.

This is why I wish I never started in a bucket. Up until this batch I had never seen the steps personally for fermentation, just the after math left behind.

My first in the carboy primary (3 days ago) has only grown about a 2 inch krausen but I assumed its because of how low I've been holding the temp.

This is why I wish I never started in a bucket. Up until this batch I had never seen the steps personally for fermentation, just the after math left behind.

My first in the carboy primary (3 days ago) has only grown about a 2 inch krausen but I assumed its because of how low I've been holding the temp.

yeah, mine got a little warmer than I would have liked.

Back