4 Gallon Buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahobrew

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a newbie here and to home brewing,(but not to drinking beer) still fermenting my first batch. I went to the local grocery today and to the bakery. The man there had some foodsafe 4 gallon square containers with lids (they had contained frozen eggs). I was looking for 5 gallons but this was all he had. I picked up 2 for a buck a piece anyway. So what would be a good use for these as I will be brewing 5 gallon batches? I was thinking I could at least use them for sanitizing equipment. Maybe when I move up to all grain, which I plan to do, these will come in handy. Thanks for any advice.:mug:
BTW this is an awesome forum for someone just starting out. Everyone is friendly and there is so much great information.:D

Sounds like good for storage and cleaning.

Skip iodophor and get some starsan. I use a clean bucket and lid for storing my starsan for future use.

If your water turns it cloudy right away, find someone with reverse osmosis water to fill up or buy a few jugs of distilled from the store. I used my house water with starsan (my hard water just makes the starsan cloudy) and later decided to use the distilled or RO water so I could see into it a little better and have a better indicator of when to dispose and make a new batch.

Depending on how well the lids seal you could use them to store your grain once you make the leap to all grains.

Latest posts

Back