• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

4 extra iSpindels (newly built) for sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eranr

Reaction score
I just made some iSpindels for myself and a friend and have 4 extras I can sell. They are the Opensource Distilling 2.1 version made with authentic D1 mini 3.0.0 chips loaded with the latest iSpindel 6.3.1 firmware. I tested them all to make sure they work properly, but I don't have any extra batteries to provide. You will need to calibrate them once you get your battery installed. Also, I paid a little extra for lead-free boards. They are $39 each +$5 for 1st class package shipping ($44 total). If you buy more than one then shipping is $6 for 2, $7 for 3, or $10 for 4 - if you buy 4 they have to be sent priority mail due to weight. I live in SLC, UT area if you happen to be in the area you are welcome to pick them up and avoid shipping.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20200926_214214278.jpg
    PXL_20200926_214214278.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 91
  • PXL_20200926_214224186.jpg
    PXL_20200926_214224186.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20200926_214254180.jpg
    PXL_20200926_214254180.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 91
Just some quick notes to anyone who hasn't used an iSpindel before:
  • I find the on/off to be slightly sensitive and liable to break, so always carefully move it from the base of the lever.
  • Don't over tighten the cap or the cap will split. You can test it at home (with the ispindel component taken out of the container) to see how tight you need to be to prevent leaking.
I experienced both of these after more than a year of regular use which is why I built new ones. The new Opensource Distilling version is really awesome compared to the older version I had - Much easier to clean and will likely not have to recalibrate after battery changes. I am happy to help troubleshoot any issues that come up. The first time I had an issue, it turned out my battery died. The second time I had an issue was the gyroscope chip randomly stopped working correctly. Both problems are fairly easily remedied (the gyroscope required buying a new chip and being able to solder it on).

Much easier to clean and will likely not have to recalibrate after battery changes.
With the caveat that it depends on the battery weight. I ended up with some batteries that are 49 grams and other at 44, and they have a very different balance point in the iSpindel because of that.

With the caveat that it depends on the battery weight. I ended up with some batteries that are 49 grams and other at 44, and they have a very different balance point in the iSpindel because of that.

Great point. If the original battery is lighter, you can add a little electrical tape to up the weight and hopefully avoid recalibrating. I'm not as sure what to do about going the other way. I was too lazy to recalibrate when I changed my battery and just shifted my curve the floating angle difference. Not exactly perfect, but it was good enough for me.

...and will likely not have to recalibrate after battery changes
Why do you need to change the battery? If I am correct a 18650 3000mAh or 3500mAh rechargable like a Samsung 18650 should go in there, an ordinary AA battery will not provide enough voltage(should be > 3V) in order to make the D1 mini work.

Why do you need to change the battery? If I am correct a 18650 3000mAh or 3500mAh rechargable like a Samsung 18650 should go in there, an ordinary AA battery will not provide enough voltage(should be > 3V) in order to make the D1 mini work.
In my case, I use cells extracted from old laptops so they likely have a shorter life span left. Sometimes (twice over the past year for me) they just die... If I understand correctly, it's usually the protective pcb that gives out before the actual battery stops accepting new charge, but either way the result is the same. I have to put in a new one.

These are now officially all gone.

Perhaps in another few years if I break my new ones or if there is some technological advancement I cannot resist, then I will make another batch and have a couple extras again.

Back