4 day primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try to get some useful information from you before this goes downhill. Is this a theoretical question or are you fermenting something now? If the latter, what's the recipe and why do you want to take it out of primary now? To secondary it or to bottle/keg it?

My experience of my only finished brew so far, which was in primary for 6 days, is that it is "OK" but could be better... The longer I leave each bottle the better they taste.

My second batch has been 4 days and I'm planning 2 weeks or maybe 3.

Has it finished fermenting? We need more sdpecifics. What was your OG? What is you reading now? Are you going to secondary?

If it's not done fermenting, yes.

But let's start with the usual: Recipe? OG? All-grain or extract? Yeast used? Starter?

You should not have a problem leaving it 2-3 weeks. You certainly don't have to, though. Do you have a hydrometer?

Well I always do a 7 day primary, but I am wanting to change things up. This is an experimental batch SMaSH vienna and chinook. My OG is 1056, its all grain, and use a 1500 ml stater. Brew date was on sat.

While technically it may not be too short a time (assuming it's completely done fermenting), your beer will fair better being able to sit on the large yeast cake in the fermenter for at least a few more days. It'll clean up much better and faster being on a large amount of yeast as opposed to the tiny amount in each bottle. So if you're in a hurry and want to experiment, by all means you can. But you will most likely get a cleaner, "better" beer allowing the yeast to have some more time to clean up a bit more.

Back