3rd place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
put a beer into a competition, got 3rd place in that style. But there were only 3 entries in that style. I am kind of embarrassed because I think I won it not because it was any good but because there were only 3 entries.

How did it score? I would focus on that and the judges comments to determine if they thought it was "any good".

put a beer into a competition, got 3rd place in that style. But there were only 3 entries in that style. I am kind of embarrassed because I think I won it not because it was any good but because there were only 3 entries.

Well, good for you for putting your hard work out for other people to judge. I'm still too nervous to let other people try my brews. :)

Out of curiosity, what style was it? Did you get any feedback?

only got a 32 on it, that is kind of ok beer not great.

32 is actually a "very good" score.

Outstanding (45 - 50): World-class example of style.
Excellent (38 - 44): Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning.
Very Good (30 - 37): Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws.
Good (21 - 29): Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws.
Fair (14 - 20): Off flavors/aromas or major style deficiencies. Unpleasant.
Problematic (00 - 13): Major off flavors and aromas dominate. Hard to drink.

As a judge, a 32 is NOTHING to sneeze at! Anything in the 30's is typically a score to be proud of.
Regardless of if there were 3 entries or 10, you should be proud. I hope you get good feedback on your scoresheets for future reference and tweaks.

Well done!

I agree with above comments. If it was not very good, they (usually) would not issue an award. Congrats!!!

I agree with above comments. If it was not very good, they (usually) would not issue an award. Congrats!!!

Important point. Sometimes competitions will leave certain spots blank if no beers cleared the threshold.

I've actually seen competitions not award a 1st place in categories but award lower places, because the best beer in that style wasn't good enough to justify a "gold" medal.

So if it got anything, be happy. And a score of 32 is nothing to sneeze at.

Like others have said, anything over 30 is a solid beer. So I dont think you should be selling yourself short, sounds like the beer was actually pretty good. And even if it wasnt, at least you'll get some feedback. I always try to submit beers to local comps just to get feedback on them. If I win, great, if not, Ill know what to fix for next time.

Pro-tip, tell all your friends you got 3rd. Leave out the "out of 3 part". Boom, you just achieved legendary status among your beer drinking friends. You can thank me later :ban:

Don't worry about the place. Use the scorecard to improve the beer and try again. 32 is, as others have said, a very good score.

I took my RiS from 33 in its first competition to Best in Show at a recent competition in Tennessee. Use the feedback and improve the beer. Cheers.

thanks guys I feel better now. the score sheets will be handed out sometime after September 4th. I will be happy to see the results and comments.

I have put beer in several competitions and have not been disappointed in the scores because I normally use the input to help make myself a better brewer, but for some reason to get a 32 and only 3 beers it seemed strange to me and embarrassing. But your guys have made me feel better, thank you.
One of my favorite beers, a Festbier, I have on tap an love it, but it only got a 21. I was sure I would get a better score but we will see when they found when I get the score sheets.

Back