3rd beer wants to cause problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticdevildog

Reaction score
I brewed my third beer yesterday and it is already causing me to repeat RDWHAHB to myself.

Brewing went great. No major issues there. The problems start when it's sitting in the fermentor.

First, the airlock bubbles out all the star-san I put in it causing a nice bubbly, soapy mess around the airlock and on the top of the carboy. So, I clean and sanitize another airlock fill it with more star-san and replace the one that's been bubbled out.

Then, while I was out at a doctor's appointment my beer lovingly decided to evict the stopper and new airlock. When I came home and checked on the beer the carboy was unplugged. No mess, just missing the stopper and airlock. It was shot out and sticking to the floor right next to the carboy.

Yikes!

I clean and sanitize my stopper and airlock and replace them to which it promptly starts bubbling away at the star-san.

I'm fairly sure it's going to be ok since I still have the nice thick krausen ring on the top but this beer seems to just want to have more room to breathe. Also, it's not overflowing and I have plenty of room on the top of the fermentor still it just seems to be a little more under pressure this time.

Anyways, not complaining, more just "telling someone my woes". Almost more interested in seeing how this one turns out now that it has not gone as smoothly as the other two brews. It will be beer, and I will drink it... :mug:

CDD: As you probably know, Starsan can be 'slickery', and allow carboy stoppers to shoot out alot easier.
So, if you don't have the overflow that requires a blowoff tube, try duct taping the stopper to the neck of the carboy for a day or two.

Back