3L starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
I checked the Mr. Malty calculator and I'll need a 3L starter for my upcoming brew with an OG of 1.076. I have a 1 gallon glass jug for my starters. Is it alright to pitch 1 Wyeast pack into 3L of starter wort or do I need to make a 1L starter first and step it up? Thanks

You can do a 3 liter starter. That must be some very old yeast or you are brewing a 10 gallon batch. Yeastcalc has about a 1.5 liter starter. Or a lager?

You can do a 3 liter starter. That must be some very old yeast or you are brewing a 10 gallon batch. Yeastcalc has about a 1.5 liter starter. Or a lager?

I calculated it as a 1.076 5.5 gallon batch using a new Wyeast pack, and intermittent shaking method since I don't have a stirplate. Both Mr. Malty and YeastCalc show I need a 2.6L starter, but I figured I'd shoot a little higher to be slightly over rather than under.

As long as I could obtain the cell count I need with one starter I'd rather do that instead of stepping it up.

yeastcalc.jpg

mrmalty1.png

Back