3d Printed Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalpeer

Reaction score
Here's one of my first stabs at modeling something for 3d printing. It doesn't get any simpler than a simple tap handle design. I used FreeCad and printed on a i3 Prusa printer.

More pictures and CAD/STL files can be found here.

In the middle of an 8 hour print, 2 at a time.
IMAG0148.jpg

3 tap handles mounted.
IMAG0149.jpg

Nice work! Apparently no one on here likes 3D printing. The possibilities with these devices seem endless. Do you have future projects you are working on?

What would you estimate the cost is to enter the 3D printer market?

I love the idea here. You could really get creative with this. Keep us posted please.

Looks great! Are you using PLA or ABS? How do you like your I3 Prusa?
Your getting ballzy printing two at once!

Ive been using PLA on my tap handles and havent had much experience with ABS. I think using acetone vapor to smooth the part would make a great handle. I went with a Makergear M2.

This is the tap handle I am working on. All parts can be removed and fit snugly enough to stay together without glue. I'm still working on the face plate and face plate to backing plate connection, that will change in size and text. I'm also trying to model so no support is required.

I use Autodesk Inventor.

taphandle.jpg

taphandleparts.jpg

Both of those are really great handles!
Ive been thinking of making one myself. I have a Prusa Air 2 XL.
Ive had better luck printing in PLA than ABS. Although I have gotten some good prints with 618 Nylon.

Those are both pretty cool. I had no idea it took so long to 3d print. I don't know what I expected, just surprised it was 8+ hours for 2 tap handles. I guess I am just used to machining such large parts (4000 lb castings), there was a disconnect for me.

I think in the near future 3d printing will be a huge technology.

Any possibility of this being food safe?

This is debatable. Much like the sassafras roots used in rootbeer recipes, and the FDA has already made their statement on that.

My answer is no for several reasons. There are actually standards for food safe products and I don't know of any print material, ABS or PLA, that would ever meet them. Not to be confused with some ABS made products being food grade. While only somewhat related, ABS and maybe PLA fumes are known to be toxic. This creates an unknown for me when it comes to the cooled part.

Would I use a printed airlock that actually doesn't come in contact with the beer? Maybe in a bind. Would I use a printed fitting or tap to run my wart, cool or hot, through? Absolutely not.

Looks great! Are you using PLA or ABS? How do you like your I3 Prusa?
Your getting ballzy printing two at once!

Very nice design.

I'm using ABS and as a first hobby printer, I love the i3 Prusa. Not a complaint. It's been a nice learning experience and the build is easy. I am very satisfied with the quality/cost ratio. The new MendalMax 2.0 would be the next iterative step. It's both a big jump in quality and cost though.

Printing 2 at once definitely has its issues. I have noticed on some prints it allows the layers to cool too much (while printing the other one) and this results in weak layer adhesion.

Which slicer are you using?

There may be an option to print one part at a time then jump to the next.

If your using Slic3r go to output options under print settings and check "complete individual objects"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Those are both pretty cool. I had no idea it took so long to 3d print. I don't know what I expected, just surprised it was 8+ hours for 2 tap handles. I guess I am just used to machining such large parts (4000 lb castings), there was a disconnect for me.

The print time was THE most surprising thing to me getting started into 3D printing. From what I've seen, it's also surprising to others. It's sort of one of the unspoken weaknesses with printing a model layer by layer out of a .4mm hole. Simple, small prints, like the size of a golf ball, take maybe 30 minutes. Others, well, i've started leaving prints going at night and wake up in the morning like it's Christmas with a new object on the printer. Only a matter of time before that bites me (doing this is not recommended).

OP, have you tried speeding up prints?

Turns out, I've spent a lot of time on this. I have different nozzle sizes. I've printed at different layer heights and speeds. I've adjusted temperatures. I've played with every setting possible in Slic3r. It's pretty much a balancing act. The faster you go, generally the more sloppy the prints get and you have to start playing with other factors to accommodate. The easiest thing to do is increase layer height. In the end, I decided a high quality print is most important to me 99% of the time.

Which slicer are you using?

There may be an option to print one part at a time then jump to the next.

If your using Slic3r go to output options under print settings and check "complete individual objects"

You are absolutely correct. As long as you pay attention to not hitting the other object with the extruder (there's a setting for that too). Slic3r is an awesome piece of software and it supports almost anything you can imagine.

This is great. I was thinking of doing this, we have a maker space here that has this, as well as a business that offers it, but don't yet know the cost.

Digital peer, what else have you printed??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Very cool! Do you own the printer, or using it somewhere else?

I got an i3 Prusa as a kit and put it together. You could save some money by sourcing the parts yourself, but it's a lot of work. Expect to spend a weekend or two just putting it together. And then many moons to get the thing calibrated so you can print something beyond a blob of plastic.

Digital peer, what else have you printed??

I've printed all of the plastic parts that are for the printer itself. Most of them upgrades in some fashion. Easy to make backups and improvements to your printer, with your printer. Printed quite a few things off thingiverse, like a tablet stand and hex wrench handles. Printed little boxes to hold tiny things like drill bits. There's more here.

So you guys that have a printer want to pimp it out for a tap handle prototype? Let me know what you would want...might be a few months, if I need it.

So you guys that have a printer want to pimp it out for a tap handle prototype? Let me know what you would want...might be a few months, if I need it.

If you can design something I'll give it a shot on our Gigabot. Size is of no concern. ;)

I gave this one a shot for a company BBQ we're planning: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:260854/#files

Photo%20Jun%2025%2C%2021%2013%2020.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4o803kd8rqkusl9/Photo Jun 25, 21 13 20.jpg

Photo%20Jun%2025%2C%2021%2013%2023.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6c3wvbcsply1vr/Photo Jun 25, 21 13 23.jpg

It needed support underneath and wasn't as solid as I would have liked. Sure would like to learn how to take a scan from 123D Catch and merge it with a plain tap handle. I can totally see a customized version for every beer - my dog, an actual hop cone that is in that beer, the meme of the week - the possibilities are endless!

Anyways, if you have a cool design you want me to help prototype, I'm happy to pimp out the Gigabot...
-Chris
[chris (at) re3d.org]

Back