3d batch, double ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanVTBrew

Reaction score
Here's me recipe for my third batch. A 5 gallon double ipa, exclusively brewed with simcoe. Also my first time using simcoe

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395604012.139497.jpg

I made an 1800 ml starter with California ale yeast, pitched at 70 degrees. Any critique would be encouraged!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Keep an eye on those temps. A beer of that gravity with a 1.8L starter will likely get going quickly and put off some heat. If you're not controlling it, it could throw some wicked off flavors.

I'd even try to get the temp down a few more degrees and hold it in the 65-68 range. WLP001 will do great at that temp.

Other than that, I can't critique much, as I've never done a single-hop Simcoe beer. I do love Simcoe, so best of luck!

Keep an eye on those temps. A beer of that gravity with a 1.8L starter will likely get going quickly and put off some heat. If you're not controlling it, it could throw some wicked off flavors.

I'd even try to get the temp down a few more degrees and hold it in the 65-68 range. WLP001 will do great at that temp.

Other than that, I can't critique much, as I've never done a single-hop Simcoe beer. I do love Simcoe, so best of luck!

This exactly. Mid 60s beer temp, so high 50s ambient if not controlled. If it ferments too hot it's going to taste like a litter box with all that Simcoe. Personally I love hops but not really a fan of heavy Simcoe recipes, but lots of people do (I think). Cheers!

If not already planned consider dry-hopping with 2-6oz.. (of simcoe if you want to keep it a single hopped beer..)

I live in Vermont, and we're on a cold spell. All my batches have fermented at 65-68 for three weeks. Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind. Ive heard mixed reviews on simcoe, my brother hates it. But I decided to go big before I try my first session beer.

And yes! I plan to dry hop. I bought a big mouth bubbler for this batch, bringing my carboy count to 2 five gallons and one 6.5. I dry hop with a muslin bag so now I can fit more than 1 oz in!

Also beersmith have me a 1.079 original gravity, and it was spot on.

I would skip the bag and just toss the hops in your fermenter. When you're ready to keg/bottle, sanitize your muslin bag and tie it to the bottom of your racking cane. This will keep it from clogging and losing your siphon with the racking cane. I have done this for years with no issues. Simcoe is a good hop, so you should have a good beer coming! :mug:

Sent from my LG-P769 using Home Brew mobile app

you only have 2.5oz of hops in the flavor/aroma part of the boil. Try combining your 45 and 60 minute additions and then take an oz off the 30 minute and spread it out over 15-0.

Sounds like you've already brewed it, but...
1. I wouldn't use simcoe as a bittering hop as it tends to get cat-pissy when boiled for that long.
2. Your 45 and 30 min additions are almost a waste. I'd consider having one big bittering charge at the start of the boil, then leave everything else to late in the boil (< 15 mins). A 10 or 15 minute addition paired with a flame out or whirlpool will net you a lot more flavor and aroma (as will dry hopping)
3. Consider using steeping grains instead of amber malt extract. You'll get a lot more control over the flavor profile of the beer that way.

So I'm not doing any good with 45, and 30 minute additions? Would it be a a better idea to maybe split the last addition up every 5 minutes from 15 or 20 mins to boil down additions?

Sounds like you've already brewed it, but...
1. I wouldn't use simcoe as a bittering hop as it tends to get cat-pissy when boiled for that long.
2. Your 45 and 30 min additions are almost a waste. I'd consider having one big bittering charge at the start of the boil, then leave everything else to late in the boil (< 15 mins). A 10 or 15 minute addition paired with a flame out or whirlpool will net you a lot more flavor and aroma (as will dry hopping)
3. Consider using steeping grains instead of amber malt extract. You'll get a lot more control over the flavor profile of the beer that way.

This is all good feedback for next time.

So I'm not doing any good with 45, and 30 minute additions? Would it be a a better idea to maybe split the last addition up every 5 minutes from 15 or 20 mins to boil down additions?

You're not really doing any good. Some people claim they can taste subtle differences with FWH, 60 min, 30 min, etc., but anything over 30 minutes is typically for bittering purposes only. You won't really taste any of the good Simcoe qualities you're looking for.

If you want to do another Simcoe IIPA or a different single hop, maybe next time try something like:
60 - Magnum -or- Columbus -or- Hop Extract -or- another clean bittering hop
15 - Simcoe
10 - Simcoe
5 - Simcoe
1 - Simcoe
Cool to 180*, then more Simcoe and whirlpool for 20 minutes or so. (stir the **** out of it if you don't have a pump for a couple minutes)
Dry hop with 1oz per gallon for 4-7 days.

Keep in mind everyone's preferences are different, but this should deliver a cleaner hop-forward beer with a little complexity from the many additions.

And as always, pitch the proper amount of yeast and keep your fermentation temps under tight control.

Hope this helps. :mug:

Much appreciated, right now I'm doing all single hop beers, and keeping a journal of each recipe, and characteristics of said recipe. I'll practice what I've learned here with my next batch. I'll be using Amarillo. I've done nothing but ipas, and was thinking about trying a hop water session batch.
Thanks again guys!!
Cheers.

Much appreciated, right now I'm doing all single hop beers, and keeping a journal of each recipe, and characteristics of said recipe. I'll practice what I've learned here with my next batch. I'll be using Amarillo. I've done nothing but ipas, and was thinking about trying a hop water session batch.
Thanks again guys!!
Cheers.

If you're doing all single hops, you might want to try out Hop Extract for bittering. It should produce a super clean bitter without any pissy off flavors that some hops will give. Plus it should give you a higher level of bittering consistency between all your single hop beers, since flavor and aroma is what you're after.

Also, if you want to try Citra, this recipe came out excellent for me. Have fun!

Citra was my first batch. I'll take a look, it might help me use it next time!

Um...a bud light recipe? That's exactly the reason to brew my own beer, so get away from that stuff!!

Um...a bud light recipe? That's exactly the reason to brew my own beer, so get away from that stuff!!

That link sends me to a post on bud light....

On the don't bitter with simcoe note - I disagree..
I recently did a split batch with simcoe as a bittering hop (what was laying around).. I detect no cattiness at all - In fact you'd be completely unable to tell it had simcoe in it.

Back