3711 a "Boring" yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goikification

Reaction score
So I am curious about this, apologize if it is off topic for this area but I have seen it referenced several times in this board, 3711 has been called clean or boring by more than one person.

I just bottled a saison from 3711 that was fermented at relatively high temps (75 degrees +) and it is very floral with some strong juicy fruit notes.

Under which conditions did you note the clean finish?

I've fermented it around 65ish when I didn't have too much temp control and it was cleaner. I would never say clean though. Citrus notes still were present for me. But man that stuff is amazing.

Santé!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i believe that when folks say that it's a boring yeast, they mean a boring saison yeast. compared to the dupont strain (when it works), or fantome, or blaugies, etc., it's not as interesting. i've only done 2 batches with it, but i would have to agree... i much prefer dupont - at least initially, i then use 3711 to finish off the batch, but most of the flavor comes from the dupont initial fermentation.

(and yeah, not quite sure how this topic relates to lambic and wild brewing...)

I think that 3711 is a great starter saison yeast. The mouth feel that 3711 kicks out is great. The profile isn't as dynamic as other saison for sure. But, it's consistent and attenuates very well.

i believe that when folks say that it's a boring yeast, they mean a boring saison yeast. compared to the dupont strain (when it works), or fantome, or blaugies, etc., it's not as interesting. i've only done 2 batches with it, but i would have to agree... i much prefer dupont - at least initially, i then use 3711 to finish off the batch, but most of the flavor comes from the dupont initial fermentation.

Agree completely here. Although, I think 3711 makes a very nice, if not extremely complex saison. You can't think of "clean" in this context in the same way that WLP001 is clean, just compared to other saison strains.

While i like this yeast a lot for a saison, do yourself a favor and make an american IPA and ferment with this yeast. It'll blow your mind.

I don't think I've heard anyone call it clean or boring. It just doesn't taste good. The stone fruit and clove thing isn't what I want in a saison.

I like to combine it 50/50 with the Ardennes strain. Gives a bit more character and a nice finish. Don't have to deal with the fermentation issues w/the Belgian strains.

3711 ferments like an animal but it's a sort of one-note yeast. My favorite saison have been with the DuPont strain. Looking to experiment with others, but 3711 didn't do it for me.

3711 is a nice yeast. I have always loved the flavor of it....

That is until I split a 5 gallon batch of my "super saison" (Bier de Garde) and did a head to head comparison--1/2 3711, 1/2 ECY03.

WOW! the ECY03 (basically a saison blend with the brett) has more dimensions than the 3711 with the same base wort.

The 3711 shows fruit, almost candied, slightly tart, with a hint of clove and alot of the original base beer (like others have said, very clean in that regard). Finished at 1.004

The ECY03 shows complexity with fruit, dust, almost a meaty (think crispy duck skin) component in the nose along with the some serious saison splendor on the palate. Finished at 1.003. Going to give them both some time, but early on, the ECY03 is a clear winner.

3711 is a nice yeast. I have always loved the flavor of it....

That is until I split a 5 gallon batch of my "super saison" (Bier de Garde) and did a head to head comparison--1/2 3711, 1/2 ECY03.

WOW! the ECY03 (basically a saison blend with the brett) has more dimensions than the 3711 with the same base wort.

The 3711 shows fruit, almost candied, slightly tart, with a hint of clove and alot of the original base beer (like others have said, very clean in that regard). Finished at 1.004

The ECY03 shows complexity with fruit, dust, almost a meaty (think crispy duck skin) component in the nose along with the some serious saison splendor on the palate. Finished at 1.003. Going to give them both some time, but early on, the ECY03 is a clear winner.

I would expect the ECY03 to have more to it than the 3711 being a blend and having Brett. I haven't gotten my hands on it yet but I pitch Brett with 3711 often and it too has some awesome stuff. Maybe I'll get some ECY03 in the future. I've been looking for that dust/basement type aroma/flavor for a good Biere de Garde.

Back