3500 Watt 220V 50Hz induction burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kassad

Reaction score
The amazon listing for the Mai Cook ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016XY88AA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 ) says it works on a 50Hz-60Hz circuit. My voltage is 220V/50Hz so I am leaning towards pulling the trigger on this one. It received good reviews from home brewers and I am looking to brew 5-8 gallon batches.
I've also heard good things about the Avantco IC3500 but I can't find the specs for the frequency range. Is it only 60Hz or can someone verify that it will work on a 60Hz circuit?
Also, best 10 gallon kettle for an induction burner?

Last edited by a moderator:
The label on the bottom of my Avantco reads: 208V 60Hz.

You may be onto something that 50Hz may not work or as well. If I understand the induction circuitry correctly, the net frequency is being ramped up (or modulated) to a much higher one before it goes into the coil. Operating that unit at 50 Hz, that frequency will be 17% less than at 60 Hz, and not provide the same power transfer.

Or am I :drunk: ?

Ah, forgot to mention, not sure how that "Mai Cook" thing deals with the net frequency difference. It's also 2x the price of the IC3500, alas you'll get free shipping but only in the US.

I've seen some promising and nicely priced Induction plates on Ali Express too.

You still don't have a location or at least a country listed. One of my big pet peeves here, lots of time and energy is being wasted because such key information is missing.

Though I'm looking to sell mine, I've been using the Avantco for about a year and it has worked wonderfully for me.

Though I'm looking to sell mine, I've been using the Avantco for about a year and it has worked wonderfully for me.

If you're determined, you could still use the Avantco.
Tap from two (different) 110V outlets that are on separate circuits. As long as the fuses/breakers are at least 15A they'll power your unit. Most modern kitchen installations feature at least 2 separate countertop appliance circuits, typically on opposite walls, or one in an island.

The Avantco site says that no pot wider than 10.5 inches will work and will irreparably damage the stove top. What size of pot are you using, and how heavy does it get? And if you don't mind, can you tell me which Avantco you have? There just isn't enough information out there.

Thanks

The Avantco site says that no pot wider than 10.5 inches will work and will irreparably damage the stove top. What size of pot are you using, and how heavy does it get? And if you don't mind, can you tell me which Avantco you have? There just isn't enough information out there.

Thanks

I hear you. Info can be scarce.

I use mine with a Bayou Tri-Ply 10 gallon kettle. Dimensions listed online for this kettle have the base diameter at 13.6". I've never had a problem with it at all.

The kettle itself is listed at 14.35lb, and a gallon of 1.060 wort weighs around 8.85lb. So, pre-boil I can be in the range of 65-70lb? I do make sure to be gentle when moving or placing the kettle on the unit.

The only thing I've heard people worry about is the internal fuse that's a pain in the ass to change. Because of this I've kept the maximum I run the unit capped at 3100w. Even then it's too strong at a boil and I usually drop to 2500w or so.

Thanks

I've been using an Advanco 3500 for 5 years with large and wide pots overhanging the base by an inch or more all around. My widest pot is 15 gallons with a 17" diameter. Never had any issues in that regard.

@DevilsCups said to reduce power, but I've never had any reason to do that unless I want to slow down the boil. Otherwise it's cranking at full power for an hour and a half or more, especially with larger batches/kettles. Never blew the internal fuse or damaged anything.

That said, there are some maintenance issues with these units. If you're just using it for brewing once or twice a month, you may never encounter them. But I use mine for other cooking purposes, such as preparing starter wort, cooking soup, stews, large pots of stock, wokking, etc. Pretty much daily use.
Over time grease and dust builds up on the underneath air intake grate, and also on the internal fan. The bottom grate is easy to clean. But after a couple years of use the fan started to come up to speed more and more slowly, so it obviously needed "servicing." I opened the unit, removed the fan, cleaned off the dust and grease then cleaned and relubricated the shaft and sleeve bearing with a couple drops of "sewing machine" oil. I do that every time I hear the fan starting to have speed trouble (slow start or surging). It's about 20-30 minutes of work once a year or so, on average for me.

I have not been able to find a replacement or better fan with ball bearings yet. The fan assembly is not standard, yet is an integral and important part of the unit's proper functioning, cooling the power regulator electronics inside. I've never had the unit shut off because of overheating, and won't even try to find out, it may well kill it. Be warned.

I've been using an Advanco 3500 for 5 years with large and wide pots overhanging the base by an inch or more all around. My widest pot is 15 gallons with a 17" diameter. Never had any issues in that regard.

@DevilsCups said to reduce power, but I've never had any reason to do that unless I want to slow down the boil. Otherwise it's cranking at full power for an hour and a half or more, especially with larger batches/kettles. Never blew the internal fuse or damaged anything.

That said, there are some maintenance issues with these units. If you're just using it for brewing once or twice a month, you may never encounter them. But I use mine for other cooking purposes, such as preparing starter wort, cooking soup, stews, large pots of stock, wokking, etc. Pretty much daily use.
Over time grease and dust builds up on the underneath air intake grate, and also on the internal fan. The bottom grate is easy to clean. But after a couple years of use the fan started to come up to speed more and more slowly, so it obviously needed "servicing." I opened the unit, removed the fan, cleaned off the dust and grease then cleaned and relubricated the shaft and sleeve bearing with a couple drops of "sewing machine" oil. I do that every time I hear the fan starting to have speed trouble (slow start or surging). It's about 20-30 minutes of work once a year or so, on average for me.

I have not been able to find a replacement or better fan with ball bearings yet. The fan assembly is not standard, yet is an integral and important part of the unit's proper functioning, cooling the power regulator electronics inside. I've never had the unit shut off because of overheating, and won't even try to find out, it may well kill it. Be warned.

This five year usage data point is good for me to hear. I’m trying to decide on an induction cooktop and have read some horror stories on this brand. My pot will overhang by about one inch on each side. Your experience seems to contradict the negative reviews. Thx for posting.

have read some horror stories on this brand. My pot will overhang by about one inch on each side. Your experience seems to contradict the negative reviews. Thx for posting.
I wonder what kind of horror stories you encountered. The feedback and "reviews" I've seen were all positive. The unit is relatively simple and straightforward, efficiently built, and certainly not over engineered, which, IMO, helps in being virtually trouble free. I also doesn't have the often "seen on TV" 100 cooking modes for iDiots.

Most glass top stoves (not just induction) warn against using pots overhanging the element (heating zone) without providing as much as one reason. With induction I expect that to be the least of any concern. Sure, the glass plate has no chance of cooling itself around the perimeter when an oversized pot is covering the entire surface, and then some, but in practice that doesn't not seem to be an issue.

For that price, I'd buy another unit in a heartbeat.

I've had mine since October 2016 and have gone through 10 batches or so with no issues yet. 6-7 gallon boils.

Note that I do not mash in my kettle with mine, but many people do.

They’re all over Amazon for that cooktop

Currently on Amazon, the Mai Cooktop has 20 total reviews, 2 of which are 1 star.

The Avantco currently has no reviews on Amazon that I can find. There are a number of reviews for it on the Webstaurant store.

I am also curious to read what horror stories you've read since I've already purchased the Avantco IC3500. But; I guess it really makes no difference, since I already own it. I've read the thread on HBT and the consensus there seems to be positive overall.

I am also curious to read what horror stories you've read since I've already purchased the Avantco IC3500. But; I guess it really makes no difference, since I already own it. I've read the thread on HBT and the consensus there seems to be positive overall.

You're gonna love that IC3500! Go brew now...

Currently on Amazon, the Mai Cooktop has 20 total reviews, 2 of which are 1 star.

The Avantco currently has no reviews on Amazon that I can find. There are a number of reviews for it on the Webstaurant store.

I stand corrected. I said Amazon but Webstaurant is correct. These are some examples (below). But the 5 year usage reported here seems like good news that contradicts the negative reviews. I am about to pull the trigger as well.

IMG_1145.JPG

I stand corrected. I said Amazon but Webstaurant is correct. These are some examples (below). But the 5 year usage reported here seems like good news that contradicts the negative reviews. I am about to pull the trigger as well.

Thanks for digging up those reviews. Are those all of the reviews or just the bad ones? I guess I could check myself on Webstaurant's site...

One thing I noticed is that those reviews are from 2016 and 2017. Maybe there was a bad batch, some manufacturing problem during that period, or parts had changed.

As I mentioned before, the fan is certainly a weak part, mine needs periodic cleaning and lubricating. I understand that is not a task for most consumers and businesses owning the product. As a matter of fact people in general should not attempt these kind of repairs which is far beyond regular maintenance.

The last time I had the unit open I also noticed one of the mounting studs in the plastic assembly that holds the circuit board had ripped out for unknown reason. Nothing really essential, but I removed the circuit board and repaired the stud area with JB Weld. It has been working fine.

Let me add some opinion...

The IC3500 probably consists of $30-40 (if that much) in materials, assembly, QC, and packaging. It sells for around $180 here. Everything in between is distribution, marketing, markup, and profits. Spending $10-30 more on manufacturing (less than doubling the initial cost) could yield a unit build from better parts and being much more durable, but under common business practices would retail for more than double ($360+).

I'd love to compare one of those more expensive units, like the Mai Cook, Vollrath, etc. with the IC3500.

I'm planning on getting one of these. I think I've noticed that most of the issues are ones that are used constantly, all day every day. Plenty of people use them for brewing, and I doubt that all of them have narrow kettles. I currently have a 33-qt Graniteware kettle, though I want to upgrade to 40-qts at the same time.
I'm sort of thinking about putting together a support for the sides, to take some of the weight of the kettle. Wonder if that would help with some of the issues.
I also want to get the IC1800, for strike / sparge water and to use upstairs where I don't have the 220-v power.

I'm planning on getting one of these. I think I've noticed that most of the issues are ones that are used constantly, all day every day. Plenty of people use them for brewing, and I doubt that all of them have narrow kettles. I currently have a 33-qt Graniteware kettle, though I want to upgrade to 40-qts at the same time.
I'm sort of thinking about putting together a support for the sides, to take some of the weight of the kettle. Wonder if that would help with some of the issues.
I also want to get the IC1800, for strike / sparge water and to use upstairs where I don't have the 220-v power.

Kettle overhang and weight are non-issues. The unit is very strong, it can hold and heat my full 15 gallon kettle which is 17" wide. No need for reinforcements. The overhang doesn't impair the unit's functionality either. As I said before, I don't understand why they even mention that width restriction.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Back