Induction burner (220v) vs propane with Brewers Edge Brewkettle (overhang)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfreaky

Reaction score
HI,
It's getting warmer out so Im getting ready to get into brewing with the equipment I received from Williams Brewing. I have the Brewers Edge 40z Brewkettle and I have a NaMilux N-196 wok burner that is 100,000BTU and specs are: Max. power: 27 kW max. Gas consumption: 2 kg/hour.

I plan to do 5 gallons in the 10gallon kettle. Im wondering if having 1 full grill size propane tank would be enough for 1 brew, and if it will be a propane hog. It is also very loud and I dont like attention so I am considered buying a 220v induction burner + extension cord. The kettle base is 16" diameter and looks like the recommended Avantco IC3500 induction burner has a 10" base. Is that too small for the 16"?

What do you recommend?

I use 15 gal kettles with a 17" OD on both a 3500 Avantco and 1800 Burtun with no issues at all,with 11 gal of liquor in the HLT (1800) and sometimes 14 gal in the BK. Both are wrapped in 2 layers of reflectix ,with the one on the BK removable.
You should have no problem doing 5 gal batches.
The one thing I changed was to start my recirc whirlpool at flame out to sanitize the pump and chiller for 10 min because it took over 10 min to get back to a boil. and with the insulation on it stays above 180 for 10 min. If doing an IPA I can chill to 170 and add hops.

I havne't really counted brews on a single propane tank but for 5 gallons it's way, way more than one brew. More like.... half a dozen? Maybe as low as 4.

I have tried to track it a now and then but I seem to get around 4 to 5 batches out of a propane tank. I am sure it varies from system to system and boil intensity and length will have an impact as well. Note, I usually swap my propane tanks and those places only fill a tank about 80% full. At $20+ for a swap, that is around $5 of propane per batch.

I use 15 gal kettles with a 17" OD on both a 3500 Avantco and 1800 Burtun with no issues at all,with 11 gal of liquor in the HLT (1800) and sometimes 14 gal in the BK. Both are wrapped in 2 layers of reflectix ,with the one on the BK removable.
You should have no problem doing 5 gal batches.
The one thing I changed was to start my recirc whirlpool at flame out to sanitize the pump and chiller for 10 min because it took over 10 min to get back to a boil. and with the insulation on it stays above 180 for 10 min. If doing an IPA I can chill to 170 and add hops.
I would prefer a 120v so I dont need to run the 220v extension. I read it's a slower boil, but you say you do 11 gallons with it? I read 120v is good to up to 5 gallons. Confirming 5 gallons with the 120v 1800 Burtun? is okay? Anyone else confirm too?

thats good to know a propane tank will do 5 or so batch and not just 1-2.

It states that I use the 1800 watt for HLT not BK. I have made small beers on the Burton when i first got it but it would only boil 4 gal with the cover on part way.

I don't think I get 5 batches with a standard propane tank, probably more like 3 batches. Some of this depends on how long you want to spend brewing every brew day. I crank up my burner as high as possible to try to get done in a reasonable time. This might cut my brew times by 30-50%.

I don't use electric but I bet it is the same. You can probably brew a 5 gal batch with 120 volts but you are going to sit there waiting a considerable time to heat up water.

Extract or all grain?

I have an Avantco IC3500, and can recommend it. Since I usually brew indoors, it makes it very simple.
Any size kettle will work as long as it's induction compatible.

You can plug the IC3500 into a (240V) dryer outlet, using a home-built plug/socket adapter, with or without a properly sized extension cord to increase the distance between brewing location and receptacle.

1800W will be much slower to heat than 3500W, but once it boils you should be able to keep the boil/simmer going You'll likely need to pack some insulation around the kettle (e.g., Reflectix) and keep the lid on part-ways. Also put some insulation on top of the lid, every bit to help reduce heat loss, especially when outdoors. Even more so on windy days, use a windshield!

If you want to speed up your heating time, use the wok burner to bring your strike (and sparge) water to the needed temp. Even on 1/4 power that wok burner will be 5x as fast as your 1800W plate. Then continue the wort boil on the 1800W induction plate.

Warning:
Be careful transporting hot water, and don't be lifting full kettles, it's a big hernia risk!

Back