34 Degrees Latitude Hops ("rare")

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dn151864

Reaction score
Hey eveyone!

Just saw, today, that Northern Brewer is selling "Rare South African Hops" by 34 Degrees Latitude. Has anyone used any of these hops?

African Queen,
Southern Star,
Southern Promise,
Southern Dawn,
U1/108,
N1/69,
XJA/436

How do you like them? What have you used them in? What would you recommend when using them?

It could be a gimmick from northern brewer but it still sounds pretty cool and I'm new to brewing so I want to try anything! :mug:

Thanks!

I saw this as well, could not find any information on them. I read an old forum with someone using N1/69 and loving it.

Northern Brewer had free shipping and 10% off yesterday, figured I'd give them a shot! Will update with my results.

Just bought 8 ounces of J17/African Queen from Northern Brewer. Never used them before but will use them in an IPA for my next brew.
Grains: 85% 2 row, 10 % white wheat, 3% Caramunich, 2 % acid malt

Hops: bitter with CTZ. African Queen/CTZ/Simcoe at 10 min and whirlpool,
and then drop hop x 3 at 2:1:1 ratio.

will post recipe onces its brewed, and pics and tasting notes when ready

Just bought 8 ounces of J17/African Queen from Northern Brewer. Never used them before but will use them in an IPA for my next brew.

Grains: 85% 2 row, 10 % white wheat, 3% Caramunich, 2 % acid malt

Hops: bitter with CTZ. African Queen/CTZ/Simcoe at 10 min and whirlpool,

and then drop hop x 3 at 2:1:1 ratio.

will post recipe onces its brewed, and pics and tasting notes when ready

Nice! I bought the sampler pack as well as an individual of one that I can't remember off hand. Look forward to hear about your results!

I got a sampler too. Modern Times Triton Project uses African Queen and XJA/436. It is one of the best IPAs I've had in a while so I'm going to make an IPA featuring those two and one of the experimentals. It will have to be a 2.5 gallon batch because there aren't enough hops for a larger batch.

I picked up the sampler on a whim while at their store the other day. I have about 1.5 lbs of grain left over from my kolsch recipe, and was thinking of using it as steeping grains and making a simple 5 gallon extract batch using one of the hops from the sampler.

I have no idea on how these hops taste, so shooting blind as it were.

Got the sampler as well. Will try a NE IPA recipe with it this weekend. Will probably add some Simcoe and Citra for dry hopping as well.

Latest posts

Back