34/70 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
34/70 yeast i used this yeast has been 48 hours no fermation have it at 50 degrees. what would happen if i added more yeast???

Lager fermentations take longer to show visible fermentation. How many packets did you pitch, did you rehydrate?

Take a hydrometer reading to see if any fermentation has occurred (you did take an original gravity reading right?). If there has been no change you might think about repitching two packets of W34/70. This will not hurt anything (except cost you money). Aeration is something else though, I'm not sure if thats a good idea or not.

I just used w34/70 in a pilsner that's still lagering. I pitched 2 rehydrated packets and had signs of fermentation the next day. If you only pitched 1 packet, that would be the likely culprit

i redrdated my yeast at 60 degrees. there is a yeast cake on top of it. i did only pitch one yeast package. what would happen if i change yeast strains and put in a slap pack??? my other lager is still fermating after 2 weeks but it started right up within 24 hours.

i redrdated my yeast at 60 degrees. there is a yeast cake on top of it. i did only pitch one yeast package. what would happen if i change yeast strains and put in a slap pack??? my other lager is still fermating after 2 weeks but it started right up within 24 hours.

Pitching a slap pack would again be a serious under pitch. A lager is going to work slower. If you really want to pitch more yeast I'd stay with the same strain. Honestly if there is active yeast I would just relax, it may be a little less clean but it will probably be just fine. If you add more yeast now they would be in different phases and that may not be a good thing, the new yeast may not grow.

60F is too cool for rehydration, you want to be at 40C (104F). I always use nutrient when I rehydrate also (1.5g of GoFerm per gallon of finished product).

Actually that yeast strain needs to be rehydrated around 73F, +/-10F according to it's spec sheet.

YAY! see everything is going to be OKAY. lol. your good. just pitch more yeast next time. I love 34/70 BTW but it always seems better when I reuse it. Probably because I over pitch. I'd rather over pitch than under pitch. Hope it turns out awesome.

the reading is down so it must be fermating. it was 1.040 two days ago and today it is 1.038. i guess the yeast is working. ordered more yeast today. should i put that yeast in???

Back