316ss Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are more resistant to corrosion.
Do you have a link to a website by any chance?
I understand that 316 is more corrosion resistant than 304. 304 is sufficient for brewing. You're wasting your money on equipment that isn't common place in brewing if that's what your intention is.

Hope you find what you're looking for and have a great day.

Capture.JPG

I'll confess I thought this would be easily answered, but it turns out anything but.

Biggest problem I see is so many keg-selling sites don't even mention the grade(s) of stainless used in their products, and the next biggest is those that do specify are far and away stating 304 for the shell, though lids are often 316. Then there are the sites that actually say "we use 304 and 316" - but then fail to identify which for their specific products.

There are Italian and Chinese companies that claim they build at least sixtels in 316, but you'd have to figure out how to lay hands on any. Alibaba might be the resource of only real resort here...

Cheers!

Seeing what day_trippr posted, I see I’m not the only one who has trouble finding a 316ss keg (Pressure Vessel).

To answer your first question… I’m working on a concoction. Does it matter what goes inside as long as it’s food material and the vessel does it’s job?
Any who. I really appreciate the image. Thanks again.

316 SS is similar to 304 SS except for the addition of molybdenum which helps to prevent corrosion from acids, caustic chemicals, or high concentrations of salt/saline. The only personal experience I have with 316 SS is a few small welding jobs for marine parts. Never heard of it required in the brewing field. Someone once told me 316 SS was required for large scale kombucha production due to acidity, but I've heard from far more sources that claim 304 SS is good enough for that.

This site came up in a search. Their kegs are 304 SS but they claim they can be produced with 316 to customer's specifications.
Stackable beer kegs manufacturing stainless steel beer industrial keg business, international stackable beer kegs manufacturing suppliers stainless steel, customized beer keg barrels manufacturing business distributors market Australia beer keg barrels US

Back