31 Gallon Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they have seen one of these before, and whether or not is worth more than just a 31 gallon vessel of similar size made of aluminum?

I have searched everywhere on the internet, and cannot find a thing...

31 keg2.jpg

31 keg.jpg

I had looked for such a beast a while back, just 'cause I wanted to see one. Then I started to doubt they ever existed, and were merely legend because I couldn't find one on the whole wide Internet.

Don't know how much it's worth. But that's a rare thing you've got.

I can't find a thing either.... Rare is the word i guess, let's see if it is worth anything though.

They say the value of these kinds of things are determined by what someone is willing to pay.

I wouldn't want to mess with the guy that moved those kegs around....a measly 1/2b is pretty damn heavy, I guess being aluminum it was lighter hahaha

Maybe they rolled them, aka roll out the barrel?

I was just looking at the design. The ribs on the side look like rails to roll it on. And it kind of makes me think people were a little tougher back then:)

That design is sometimes called a firkin. There is at least one craft brewery here in Birmingham al that uses them for special occasions.

Firkins are usually metric kegs for serving live or real ale. This is similar to something called a hoffstevens keg. Although that has a different method for attaching keg coupler and faucet. These are truly unique and even here in Denver where everything beer is amplified, this is only the second I have seen.

Back