30 rule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
Anyone know the source of this guideline of pitching temp + Fermentation temp = 30 degrees Celsius? Heard about it for hefewiesen yeast strains and I would like to read up on it from the original source a bit. Thanks

I've only heard it referenced with respect to Hefeweizen brewing, and I'm pretty sure the main place I read about it was Warner's German Wheat Beers (one of the better editions of that line of books IMO). I believe the basis is to control the production of esters and phenols in the initial phase of fermentation.

Jamil seems to be all over this "30 Rule" thing, but if you do look up a Brewing Netwrok show, check out the one from 6/11/06 with Dan Gordon. Around the 1 Hr 50 Min mark they talk a little about the 30 rule (and the "Brewery Catechism Book"), and Dan says that it doesn't make sense to pitch at a temperature that's several degrees different from where you propagated your yeast or what you're planning to ferment. I think Jamil's big discussion of his belief in the 30 Rule is on the Jamil show for 6/5/06

Back