30 minute boil vs 60 minute boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabeemech1970

Reaction score
Ok a buddy and I are discussing if doing a 30 min boil would be alright. Is it neccessary to do a 60 min boil. I know in some cases you increase the time. Why is 60 minutes a standard boil time? Would 30 mins be alright?

If it is all extract, then it should be o.k. I believe the 60 minutes will rid toxins from the grains. Also it can affect hopping some as well.

60 minutes is preferred because you isomerize more alpha acids from the hops, which means you use less hops to bitter your beer.

Moreso for all-grain and partial mash brewers, a longer boil also helps get rid of the DMS that forms. In fact for pilsner malt-based beers, it is recommended to boil at least 90 minutes due to the increased levels of SMM (DMS precursor) found in pilsner malt.

60 minutes is preferred because you isomerize more alpha acids from the hops, which means you use less hops to bitter your beer.

Moreso for all-grain and partial mash brewers, a longer boil also helps get rid of the DMS that forms. In fact for pilsner malt-based beers, it is recommended to boil at least 90 minutes due to the increased levels of SMM (DMS precursor) found in pilsner malt.

^this^. longer boils are to get things like DMS out of the wort and to maximize the isomerization of the bittering hops.

Back