30 amp wire under sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowtires

Reaction score
I had a dryer circuit that I decided to relocate to the garage. Because of the location and the length it ended up here, under my sink I installing in the garage as well. What would be the proper way to terminate this cable and extend to the new location while still being to code and safe? There is a stud just to the left of the cable. Thanks!

View attachment 1457579628622.jpg

Okay fair enough. But being under a sink there wouldn't be anything special for being waterproof? I was thinking of running the wire in to the back of a weatherproof junction box and surface mount the box, then run flexible conduit to a box/ plug away from the sink location.
Is it okay to have a 220v 30amp plug under a slop sink?

[edit] didn't see it was a utility sink.

If you are worried about water flying around down there you can use outdoor boxes and move the plug out of the way as you suggested.

Haha, it's just a plastic laundry tub so no cabinets. Also this is not GFCI protected until after this plug but before the brew panel. There are so many different types of juntion boxes and conduit stuff at the home depot i kind of got lost. Can I just put the plug there? It just seems wrong

What are you going to use for GFCI?

If you were going to buy a spa panel inside an outdoor rated box, then you could just install that where the wire comes in, and then conduit over and up to where your controller will be.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=101594-82364-BR50SPAST

<EDIT>
I should have mentioned earlier, sheetrock really isn't that expensive or difficult in the scope of this type of project. You might want to consider taking apart the wall behind your sink and just running the wire up to where you want it (above the sink for example).

Any time you make a wire-to-wire connection you have to have an accessible box, so don't just bury your wire-nuts under new sheetrock.

you could place a 30 amp, 240v 'regular' receptacle under the sink and then plug into a spa panel and still meet code. code does not consider an area under the sink as wet and since it is 240v, the receptacle doesn't need gfci protection. note that this is code minimum, nothing wrong with using a weatherproof box or gfci-protecting the receptacle.

Okay thanks. Maybe I will put the plug there and then add a splash guard or something for those spilly Billy days.

Okay thanks. Maybe I will put the plug there and then add a splash guard or something for those spilly Billy days.

if you really want to be at ease, get yourself an in-use cover. these are designed for the outdoors and allow for a cord to be plugged in and still provide protection from falling water. i recommend a two-gang box for your dryer receptacle, much easier to wire up than trying to stuff the receptacle into a single-gang box. look for an in-use cover where the cord comes out the 'middle' of the bottom of the cover. some have the cord come out of a corner which is fine for a 'regular' cord but for the larger/stiffer 30 amp cord, you'll want to come down as 'straight' as possible:

415l2p2je9L._SY355_.jpg

ignore the duplex receptacles in teh background, your dryer receptacle would be centered in the box.

Back