3 weeks in fermenter and still fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy32pinkerton

Reaction score
I guess it isnt THAT crazy but I have a Belgian Tripel in primary:
-1.08 OG
-FG should be 1.01
-Opened it after 2 weeks to take a hydro reading but there was still a thick cap of foam so closed it back up
-2 days after opening it, foamed up into airlock and I rigged a blowoff tube, and it is still bubbling, 3 weeks total in primary

I can hear it bubbling every 30 seconds or so still, so going to give it more time before I open it to check the gravity and/or bottle.

Is this strange? I know there is a good amount of fermenting that needs to be done with a 8% ABV beer, but I am still surprised it isnt finished yet.

What temp is it? I've used some belgian strains that take awhile 1214 took a long time to finish for me especially at cooler temps.

Take gravity readings and when you have a consistent reading for 2 or 3 days your beer is finished. The bubbling you are referring to probably has nothing to do with the fermentation...just the solution giving off gas. Whether your wort is bubbling or not is not how you determine when fermentation is finished.

Bubbling is just CO2 leaving solution. If you warm up even 1 degree on a fermented beer it will bubble. The cooler temps and your yeast viability could be what is taking so long. Check the SG to see if you are done like previously mentioned.

I usually ramp my Belgians up over a 1 week period from 62 up to 70 or 72. Belgians can really slow down when it comes to those last few points. I would let that fermenter warm up to about 70F

Back