3 piece airlock or blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

richbrostrom

Reaction score
Is it just preference, or does the blow off tube handle a "more active fermentation?"

Sorry if this has been previously discussed to death.

Reaction score
A blow-off tube is always a good idea if your fermenter doesn't have a lot of headspace, if you're using a really active yeast strain (like a Hefe) or brewing a really big beer. There is no reason you can't use one for every beer though, which is what a lot of people do.

Personally I like the convenience of an airlock, and since I use ferm-cap drops in my boil I've never had a blow-off problem...until my last batch of APA! I checked in on it two days after pitching to find it had blown it's stack, flooded my fermentation freezer with krausen and decorated the lid. While I spent the afternoon cleaning and disinfecting my freezer, I did a lot of thinking about blow-off tubes. :drunk:

OTOH, maybe I'll just start adding ferm-cap directly into the fermenter as well.

blowmax10

Reaction score
Is it just preference, or does the blow off tube handle a "more active fermentation?"

Sorry if this has been previously discussed to death.
in my experience, the only time you need a blow off is if the foam goes up too much and is going to over flow

Me, I use the three piece and have a blow off ready if I need it - but I've only had one batch that I needed it and never in my 6.5 gallon carboy

CHansen6

Reaction score
The blow off tube handles more active fermentation. It allows any high krausen to spill out the top and into the bucket/glass/growler that you have the tube in. An airlock doesn't allow as much spill over, and can result in the stopper/lid popping out.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
My advice to all brewers is to always use a blowoff tube in the following situations:

1. You're brewing a new recipe that you haven't brewed before
  2. Your fermenter hold less than 6.5 gallons (assuming a 5 gallon batch)
  3. You are using a notoriously active yeast strain. Like BlindLemonLars pointed out, hefe yeasts are a prime example
  4. You're brewing a big beer. In this case, anything over 1.060 OG
  5. You're pitching onto a yeast cake

DrinksWellWithOthers

Reaction score
I use 3 piece airlocks and usually use FermcapS. If fermentation gets out of control I can take the bubbler part out of the airlock and stick a piece of 5/8" tubing on.