3 Keg All Grain Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert_heat

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I am setting up a 3 Keg all grain system, and wanted to ask a few questions/get some feedback. Right now here is what I have:

- 2 kegs with stainless valves
- 1 keg with stainless valve, false bottom and mounted thermometer
- two burners
- two march pumps (just got these for Christmas, I haven't mounted them yet)

In terms of next steps here is what I am thinking; I will mount the two pumps towards the bottom of the setup (so that gravity will start the flow). Then I will place the burners, one below the strike water, and one beneath the boil kettle. First question, no need for one below the mash/lauter tun right? Next, I will need to figure out appropriate valves (and where they should be located) for the lines between the kegs and the pumps. Many pictures I have seen have a valve on the input and the output for both pumps. Four valves seems a bit excessive to me. Do I really need all four?

Next, I will need to figure out a sparge arm which should be simple enough. Lastly, I really want a better system for cooling the wart when going into primary. Any suggestions on the best chilling system? I am thinking counterflow, but that still wastes a ton of water. Are the plate systems any better? Also, if I use something like a counter chiller I guess I will have to use a pump to push the wart through.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated!

I just had a thought on the chilling system. I think I will use an immersion chiller, and have it pump back into my mash/lauter ton, where I will continually dump ice. Other than the first few minutes of the run, this should work to cool down the wort without using a million gallons of water.

Back