3 gallon pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Reaction score
just noticed that my pot that i was going to use to brew is only 3 gallon..and i need to bring 3 gallons to a boil. which will leave no headspace whatsoever,,so how can i bring 3 gallons to a boil? can i have 2 pots going at once? if so where do i put the ingredients? can i split the extract/hops etc. 2/3 here 1/3 there?

just noticed that my pot that i was going to use to brew is only 3 gallon..and i need to bring 3 gallons to a boil. which will leave no headspace whatsoever,,so how can i bring 3 gallons to a boil? can i have 2 pots going at once? if so where do i put the ingredients? can i split the extract/hops etc. 2/3 here 1/3 there?

You can do it but it's a pain. You need to weigh your hop additions exactley the same when adding to both pots.

I had the same problem. I had 2 2.5 gal pots and had to split everything in half. What a pain! I'll be biting the bullet and getting a bigger pot before my next session. I can't tell you how it turned out because the beer is still sitting in the bottles, but I will say I wish I just had the bigger pot to begin with. Do you know someone you can borrow one from? If you do split, can you do half and half? Much easier math. I just eyeballed it so hopefully my beer isn't too messed up!

im calling everyone i know but no one seems to have one...wish i could do half and half, but the only other pot i have is only 1 gallon.dont know what to do

it says i need to boil 3 gallons... will it make a big difference if i boil 2.5gallons instead of 3?:confused:

Boil the 2.5.

You'll get a little bit less hop utilization, but it will still be beer.

You'd be surprised on how cheap a 20qt pot can be. I think I paid $10 for my stainless steel pot at kmart or something.

it says i need to boil 3 gallons... will it make a big difference if i boil 2.5gallons instead of 3?:confused:

In a 3 gallon pot you will not be able to get 2.5 AND all the ingredients. You'll be lucky to fit 2 gallons with all ingredients and not overflowing. The worries I had about doing that was how much of the hop flavor and grains were going to ba taken in by that little of water. At some point (think Chem 101) the water will be "saturated" with flavor and you will reach that point much sooner with such a small amount of water and I think that would definitely affect flavor. Go to a local second hand store and see what they've got. OR if you know you want to brew more beer just bite the 50 dollar bullet and get a nice stainless one.

Back