3 gal BPA free water jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bpts_finest13

Reaction score
So at Target they have 3 gal water jugs like better bottles and in the bottom they say NOW free... these should be good for fermenting right??!!

Here are some pics

If it is food safe it is good to go...just don't use it for long term aging.

Its a .normal 3 gal water nut on the bottom it says BPS FREE.. I would assume its food safe.. got 2 of them for less than 10 bux

Do you have a pic or area in Target where you found them? SKU number? I'm looking to pick a few of these up.

Do you have a pic or area in Target where you found them? SKU number? I'm looking to pick a few of these up.

I found it in their small appliance section where they sell the mini fridge, water filters and dispensers

Ps you could call your local store and give them the DPCI number which is on the clearance sticker i posted and they will tell you if they have it on stock

Thanks for the pics! I'll be looking for these tomorrow! Now I won't have to tie up my 5 gal carboy for small experimental batches!

Has anyone fermented in a vessel that had a handle like these do? Won't the krausen get in the handle and be nearly impossible to get out? Or is there a trick to getting it clean? (I currently only ferment in glass carboys and plastic buckets and cleaning those are pretty easy)

If you ferment 2.5 gallons in it, the krausen should start above the handle I would think.

Thanks for the heads up. Aren't these the same bottles that you can get 5g of filtered water from Lowes or Walmart? Do people use these often for carboys? I have a handful of them, from before I got my filter.

They're fine, in fact, sometimes they're made by the some people that make the Better Bottles. The oxygen permeability is an area of debate, but should be fine for your average beers. I probably wouldn't age a RIS or barleywine in one; but for your pale ales, milds, browns, etc. you should be fine.

Thanks for the heads up. Aren't these the same bottles that you can get 5g of filtered water from Lowes or Walmart? Do people use these often for carboys? I have a handful of them, from before I got my filter.

Looked at some at stop n shop today and they did not say BPA free
I DON'T know if theyre the same

Anybody tried these Target bottles yet? I'm going to swing by the one near my house tonight and see what they have. I want to get a few batches of apfelwien going and these would be great.

I have been using the 5 gallon version of this for 3 brews now. The top has about a 1/2 inch hole in it that I find perfect for a blow off tube. The only bad part is that the bottom of the handle indentation is difficult to get clean.

I paid 12 dollars for mine and it came full of water.

I have been using the 5 gallon version of this for 3 brews now. The top has about a 1/2 inch hole in it that I find perfect for a blow off tube. The only bad part is that the bottom of the handle indentation is difficult to get clean.

I paid 12 dollars for mine and it came full of water.

Not trying to be a prick...
Is urs BPA free.. if not what number of plastic is it because I'm interested in getting either a BB OR glass carboy in the bear future..

Not trying to be a prick...
Is urs BPA free.. if not what number of plastic is it because I'm interested in getting either a BB OR glass carboy in the bear future..

I dont think that I saw BPA free on the bottom of it anywhere and it said #2. It also said something about being approved by somebody.

I had to pick up a full fermenter to look so I didnt inspect it very well.

Interesting. This shows how outdated wikipedia can be. The following is from the #7 description:
Beverage bottles; baby milk bottles. Non-packaging uses for polycarbonate: compact discs; "unbreakable" glazing; electronic apparatus housings.
Being a new-ish father I have found that all non-glass baby milk bottles on the market are BPA-Free. I cant say what code our bottles have but they are BPA-Free. I read that not all #7 materials contain BPA, but it sounds like the majority do contain it. So to support the above poster, try to stay away from #7 unless it specifically says BPA-Free. Personally, I don't know if I'd trust a #7 even then…

Interesting. This shows how outdated wikipedia can be. The following is from the #7 description:

Being a new-ish father I have found that all non-glass baby milk bottles on the market are BPA-Free. I cant say what code our bottles have but they are BPA-Free. I read that not all #7 materials contain BPA, but it sounds like the majority do contain it. So to support the above poster, try to stay away from #7 unless it specifically says BPA-Free. Personally, I don't know if I'd trust a #7 even then…

My daughter is 3 now but I remember when the ALL her bottles had to be swapped to BPS free.. 2 was almost 30 bux I believe.. it was a big scare but I guess things are better now

I have seen those Primo 5 gallons bottles at local big box stores around here. They are all #7 bottles and do not say BPA free on them. I haven't seen any 3 gallon ones, but I will keep an eye out.

Thanks for the heads up. Picked up 2 today. Plan on splitting batches to test out diff yeasts, dry hops, etc.

I stopped by the Target by me today and they have some of these that look exactly the same and for the same clearance price...

BUT they are #7 and not BPA free. Make sure to check the bottom before assuming it's the same as the OP.

I stopped by the Target by me today and they have some of these that look exactly the same and for the same clearance price...

BUT they are #7 and not BPA free. Make sure to check the bottom before assuming it's the same as the OP.

I wonder why they would be different???

Back