3/8" gas line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rekoob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
big? well shoot, i thought most solenoid valves being used were 1/2". am I missing something? arn't the asco valves 1/2"?

I use the 1/2'' version for natural gas. It works fine.
I went for the 1/2" for less restriction then reduced it to 3/8" copper tubing.

I use a 3/8" rail, and reduce it to 1/4" at each of the burners before all the shutoffs, valves, etc. etc. You really don't need huge gas pipes for the kind of pressure we are working with. I would have used a 1/4" rail if BIP was readily available in it.

You'll save yourself money (and gas) to work with a smaller size.

There are a couple brewers here that use them. The downside is that they don't offer any of the safety features of furnace valves, so they should never be used unattended.

I use a 3/8" rail, and reduce it to 1/4" at each of the burners before all the shutoffs, valves, etc. etc. You really don't need huge gas pipes for the kind of pressure we are working with. I would have used a 1/4" rail if BIP was readily available in it.
I went with a 1/2'' manifold and 3/8" supply becaue I use natural gas , which operates at a much lower pressure.
There are a couple brewers here that use them. The downside is that they don't offer any of the safety features of furnace valves, so they should never be used unattended.
Yes, they are easier to build and are not meant to be used unatended.

Yes 1/2" will work - technically 1" will too. But we operate with such low pressure that it can make larger piping simply a waste of gas with no upsides for doing so. I am simply pointing out you can save yourself money by using a smaller pipe size and have no downsides to doing so. 1/4" solenoids are cheaper that 3/8", and so on.

To the OP: check out valves4projects on eBay. They have a large selection of solenoids. IMHO you should never leave the setup unattended anyway so you don't need the complex furnace setup.

Yes 1/2" will work - technically 1" will too. But we operate with such low pressure that it can make larger piping simply a waste of gas with no upsides for doing so. I am simply pointing out you can save yourself money by using a smaller pipe size and have no downsides to doing so. 1/4" solenoids are cheaper that 3/8", and so on.

To the OP: check out valves4projects on eBay. They have a large selection of solenoids. IMHO you should never leave the setup unattended anyway so you don't need the complex furnace setup.

Thanks for the info.
I also agree with the "not leave unattended" points. The gas burner I use now doesn't have the safety of the furnace setup but I think tons of people use them just as I have for many years and have never had any issues.
Not saying that the furnace setup isn't the way to go, I think the safety of it is worth it if you tend to not be around your rig when brewing but i don't believe that is the case with any of us.

Back