2Row vs MO vs GP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetzlaf

Reaction score
I was once told on a post I should be using American 2 Row for an American beer style. I didn't care for that comment as I am my own brewmaster and not a clonemaster or any such other master. However I am new to brewing so I am looking to see what major differences using Maris Otter or Golden Promise will do to a blonde ale or an American amber for that matter.

I started using MO because I read on Midwest that it has a "rich flavor and very forgiving brewing performance" as well as "an efficient runoff". Also my LHBS charges the same for Crisp MO as Briess 2 Row. Sure sounds better than "what most people use" and for the same price.

As far as I can tell from reading GP will make a sweeter cleaner wort, what does cleaner mean exactly?

To me is seems both these malts should be a step above domestic 2-row, but will a beer actually taste off becuase of using them?

Matt

The MO will give your beer a maltier flavor, where as the American 2-row is a grain i use when a malt backbone is not something i am particularly interested in having.

2-row is a bit lighter in color that then MO

When making a lighter abv beer i use MO then too as it gives the perception of a fuller beer despite being fairly small.

I started using MO because I read on Midwest that it has a "rich flavor and very forgiving brewing performance" as well as "an efficient runoff". Also my LHBS charges the same for Crisp MO as Briess 2 Row. Sure sounds better than "what most people use" and for the same price.

As far as I can tell from reading GP will make a sweeter cleaner wort, what does cleaner mean exactly?

To me is seems both these malts should be a step above domestic 2-row, but will a beer actually taste off becuase of using them?

Matt

Matt:

I can't tell you if they will give an off-taste compared with using 2-row, but I am a fan of the British and Scottish styles, and tend to use MO and GP almost exclusively for my ales.

I have done some experimentation with MO vs. GP, and they seem pretty similar to me. They both have more of the "biscuit" flavor than your typical 2-row. I'm not sure what "cleaner" means in that context; whether it means a crisper, cleaner flavor, or a less cloudy wort. I'm not sure that it means too much, since I have had similar results with both MO and GP.

I get a higher extract with the GP, and a bit more of a biscuit flavor with the MO. The Briess 2 row is a good, economical product but doesn't seem to clear as rapidly as beers made with MO. When i make beers with lots of specialty grains, I use Briess. When I make IPAs or other Brit beers, I use GP or MO

I've just begun messing with Golden Promise, and so far I really like it. I've tasted the actual grains side by side versus MO and they taste quite different!!!! MO is bready, whereas the GP reminds me a lot of the cereal Grapenuts. Now how well that flavors is transmitted into the final product I don't have a good handle on yet. My second beer with GP is still fermenting and my first one was a bit overhopped so the malt didn't come through well. With that beer, I did bottle a couple up to give away. A while after I had kicked the keg, I came across the bottle and drank it. The hops had finally mellowed a lot and it had a really nice rich maltiness. Of course, that was the last bottle. I'm looking forward to the second beer as it has fairly low hop levels.

Also GP is a bit smaller and is harder. It is a good candidate for milling twice

Back