2nd Year Magnums Producing Burrs Already

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootsyFlanootsy

Reaction score
This seems a bit odd to me. Last year, the cones didn't start forming until about mid july. Now, I've got burrs forming up and down the bines. I am in Philadelphia and we've had a rather wet week and a pretty cool spring all around so far. Does anyone else agree that this seems to be fairly early for burrs to be forming?

last year I had one that produced early (different plant) I picked them they were fine. More grew in later and I was too lazy to harvest those.

Last year, the cones didn't start forming until about mid july.

If last year was their first year they had a lot on their plate, and forming cones was just an afterthought. Being that the foundation was laid last year (building reserves in the crown), they can get busy doing their thing. It's a pretty cool thing!

I hear ya, I just never would've assumed in a million years that cones would begin forming this early on, it's not even June yet!

Back