2nd Homebrew Cologne Kolsch Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crj5000

Reaction score
So this is my second homebrew and it is the extract from Midwest. Brewed it Sunday, and I have it in the fridge at 60F. I have been reading about how to handle this beer after the primary. It seems that after the primary, it should be lagered for around 4 weeks. I have never done a lager, so maybe some people can help me out with this process since I have never lagered. The lagering temp is around 45 to 55. I can only ferment one carboy at a time, since I have a mini-fridge. So I would want to lager in my home fridge, which means I would need to rack into my Tap a Drafts first. Is it ok to go ahead and prime with sugar and bottle into tap a drafts. Let sit at room temp for 3 weeks and then move into home fridge at around 45F for 4 weeks? Or am I way off here?

Understand that in an ideal situation you would lager in bulk then bottle and carb up at room temp. I just bottled a kolsch that lagered at 40 F for 2 weeks. You may end up lagering for a longer time to smooth out the flavor.

You should commit the mini fridge to your lagering effort and if you need to brew another batch before it is complete maybe do an ale where the temps are not as hard to manage.

I don't think lagering in the tapadrafts will be a problem. I can't see how it would work any differently than in the carboy or in the bottle.

Back