2nd Batch - After thoughts (maybe long)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewer1426

Reaction score
Hello all. I just finished brewing my 2nd batch ever. I am still using the Mr. Beer keg and product. However, thanks to this forum, I made some changes/improvements over my first batch.

I nixed the Booster(TM) product for 1lb of Muntons X-Lite DME. Boy, what a mess I made. I was not used to it, and so I got a little sticky. Next time I'll be aware of that. It produced a much more god-awful smell vs the Booster, but I'm thinking that's the smell of "a better beer".

I also dropped the MrBeer yeast. I heard it's possible that it could be old. When I was at the LHBS I bought a package of Windsor's Brewing Yeast (by Danstar). If anyone is familiar with that. Good product?

Another invention I bought was the Hydrometer. I took my first reading with the help of the World's Worst Turkey Baster. I got an OG reading of 1.040. Not sure if this is good, bad, or "quick, run out of the house now!"

Here's the question: Can I fill the Hydrometer tube by pouring it in via the spout on the Mr. Beer? (Thus ending my relationship with the WWTB)

thanks all

Okay. Thanks. I knew enough not to return it back. I read or saw somewhere to go ahead and drink it. Blech...

Now the waiting game...

Back