2nd and 3rd batch taste the same

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfiller

Reaction score
I just tasted my 3rd batch. It's the Austin Homebrew Bavarian Hefeweizen Extract kit. It tastes extremely similar to the previous batch, which was a Midwest Supplies, Belgian Nobel Trappist Ale extract kit.

I'm really bummed. Not that it tastes bad, but I should be able to distinguish between the two. Uggh. The recipes are similar but not exact.

Oh well. Next up is either a Pale Ale or an Oatmeal Stout. If the Stout tastes the same, I think I really have a problem. :(

Rich

That's strange- those should be pretty different. Did you use hefeweizen yeast in the hefeweizen? That usually gives fruity characteristics, as does Belgian yeast strains. Still, they shouldn't be the same tasting. What were the recipes? Did they ferment too warm, maybe, causing them to both have the same type of off-flavor? I'm just trying to think of reasons they'd be so similar.

Brew and Yooper -

Thanks. I'm not exactly sure of the Belgian. The recipes are posted below.

1) Belgian = roughly the same amount of steeping grains, don't know the types
xlbs of light malt extract - If I remember correctly, it was one 1/2 gallon milk container.
Trappist Wyeast Activator 3787 Smack Pack - I made a 2000ml starter and it was a violent fermentation.

2) Hefe = 1/2 Carapils, 1/2 German Pilsner steeping grains
7lbs of wheat extract
3/4 Hallertau and 1/4 for the last 5 mins
Yeast is the Wyeast Hefeweizen smack pack - no starter

As far as temps, the room it fermented in pretty much stays between 68-72 at all times.

I'm not sure what I did wrong. The first batch was an IPA and tastes fine, like it should.

Thanks,
Rich

Well, if your room was 72, the fermentation (especially the violent one) could have been up to 10 degrees higher inside the fermenter. That would really bring out some esters and possibly some fusels. I wonder if that is the similar taste you're picking up?

Thanks, now I need to find out fusels and esters to see it that's what I taste.

Yooper -

I think it is esters. That's the taste, banana-ish, apple-ish. Do you know of a good thread that explains how to fix this?

Thanks,
Rich

Yooper -

I think it is esters. That's the taste, banana-ish, apple-ish. Do you know of a good thread that explains how to fix this?

Thanks,
Rich

Well, the good news is that in a hefeweizen that's a desirable taste. Even in Belgians, fruitiness is desired. Those yeast strains you used should have esters in the finished product. The apple-ish may fade with some aging, if it's green apple-ish due to acetylhyde. Of course, that may be a function of the yeast, too, which means it's normal. Higher temperatures may mean more than you planned, though.

The bad news is that in a high temperature fermenation, those esters are generally there to stay. They may fade with time.

Here's the description of your Belgian strain:

Produces intense esters and phenolic characteristics with complex fruitiness. Does not produce significant amount of iso-amyl acetate (banana esters) or bubble gum esters typical of many yeast of this style. Phenol and ester production are influenced by fermentation temperatures. Phenols tend to dissipate as beer matures. This type of yeast benefits from incremental feeding of sugars during fermentation, making suitable conditions for doubles and triples, to ferment to dryness. True top cropping yeast with broad temperature range.

Which hefeweizen yeast did you use? The 3068 (very common) says this:

Classic German wheat beer yeast, used by more German brewers than any other strain. Dominated by banana ester production, phenols and clove-like characteristics. Extremely attenuative yeast, which produces a tart, refreshing finish. Yeast remains in suspension readily with proteinacous wheat malt. Sometimes used in conjunction with lager yeast and kraeusened to finish the beer and improve the overall dryness. High CO2 levels, typically at 2.7 - 3.2 volumes is desirable for best presentation. This strain is a true top cropping yeast requiring full fermenter headspace of 33%. Increasing pitch rates will reduce ester production. Alcohol tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

So, even though a hefeweizen and a Belgian are different (markedly so), the overwhelming fruitiness might be what makes you think they are so similar. With a little time, maybe some of the other flavors will come to the forefront and give you a better balance of flavor.

(Incidently, those are my least favorite beer styles, so they all taste about the same to me, ironically enough. I mean, I KNOW they aren't the same, but I can't stand hefeweizens, and I'm not too crazy about some Belgians).

Austin -

Yep. I agree. I don't think they should be quite so similar either. I'm pretty sure the problem lies with my methods.

Oh well. Now I have to figure out a way to keep my fermentation temps down.

Regards,
Rich

Yooper -

Wow! Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Yes, the Hefe yeast is 3068. I think you are correct. I probably had a hot fermentation of the Belgian as it was extremely violent. It blew the top off the bucket every 6 hrs for two days.

Now, I want to brew another to see if I can break the pattern. I think it'll have to be the oatmeal stout.

Thanks again!!

Rich

use a blow off tube....attach a tube to the tip of the inner airlock, and put the other end of the tube into a milk jug half full of sanitizer....no more blowoff. The foam will go right into it if needed.

Back