2nd AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cge0

Reaction score
Better efficiency than the last one, definitely. Racked to secondary and took the trub from that to use as yeast for this one. Use a ton of it, about 2/3 of the harvest. Made a Bass Pale Ale clone from Midwest, no head retention for some reason. Last one had a killer head. Anyone know whats with the head? I used no soap or any oils. Just these Burton Salts or whatever. Never figured that would affect anything.

So, comments?

bass ale, beersmith says around 1.054 @5gal
mash-in w 12.5qts @165.9 degrees
sparge twice w 1.9gal each at @168 deg

is this about what midwest intruction sheet called for?

edit>noticed that the recipe has no carapils(this helps head and retention) the crystal 60l will help some but the pils is better generally

Ah, I see.
Well, it's fermenting pretty actively already, so that is a good sign.
Not too much krausen forming however.

I used 5 gallons to sparge, altogether and used 170 for mash in, mashed out at 170 as well, sparged with 170. Though it was 5 gallons at the end of the boil. I don't have a hydrometer yet, so I can't say anything about SG, however the grains didn't taste sweet at all, and I did an iodine test and it seems as if all starches were converted.

Back