2nd AG under my belt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanjints

Reaction score
Today was a great brew day. Weather was beautiful and while I wanted to get the Harley out and take it for a ride the brew was 1st on my list.

First let me say that today my wife helped me make the beer and her help was appreciated but she didn't feel like she did much. I guess I should make her do more next time.

We made a Wit Beer with the name of Witface.

We hit our mash in temp of 154 and over the whole hour it only dropped to 152. Draining went well and we ended up with 2.5 gallons @ around 1.073. Did a batch sparge that we let sit for 20 minutes. Had a stuck sparge near the end of draining it off, stirred it up and it drained faster and cleaner than at first.

Got 6.75 gallons of 1.049 preboil gravity. We used 10lbs of grains. So unless I am mistaken that is a 91% efficiency. I am still amazed by this. But the real shock is I had 65% for my first batch I did AG. There were many problems that occurred with that batch and I was surprised to get it that high even.

How did this happen? I batch sparge and have a 5 gallon cooler with stainless braid.

Make sure all your volume readings were accurate and the hydrometer readings were corrected for temperature and the inaccuracy of your particular hydrometer. My hydrometer is and always has been off by 4 points which I have to add to each reading. Also, you're grain bill weight has to be accurate.

Assuming that al of these things are accurate...... This residual alkalinity of this beer might have been more appropriate for the SRM of that beer. The fact that you hit your temperatures could have helped. Your crush might have been differnt. The 20 minute sparge could have allowed further conversion of residual starches left behind in your first batch. Many other possible variables but this is just what pops into my head.

Did you have fun brewing it?

I had a blast brewing yesterday and look forward to my next batch. Sucks for me that I don't have any more money budgeted for brewing in March.

As for measurements. The hydrometer is accurate and I checked, double checked, and had the wife check the measurements with both the hydrometer and the volumes. I thought the volumes were a little less but not less than 6.5 gallons in the kettle. Even if that was the case I would have had an efficiency of 88%. Which would blow my mind as much as the 91% being that I had so low for the first batch.

I had the thought that the grains were more than the 10lbs. I never weighed them I just assumed they were correct. I ordered them from BMW and trusted they were correct since the reviews from HBT are so good. I ordered the 10lbs for the Witbier at the same time I order 12lbs for another recipe. The 12lbs of grain and the 10lbs appeared to be the same sitting next to each other in the bags on the counter. Never did I compare them to see if they were the same.

There are a couple explanations for the improved efficiency but I didn't think I would ever see over 75-80% for a long while. The first AG batch wouldn't drain and we didn't hit a good Mash temp. So I dumped it into the kettle to see if I could get it to drain. Then dumped back. No go. So we dump again. Try something else and dump back. Then there was many other attempts to separate grains from wort. 2 hours later after a garbage bag, old t shirt, and strainer we had gotten something to start with and 65% efficiency.

Ultimately I fixed the stainless braid so it would drain and I will stick with my setup for a long while if I keep hitting near 90%. Of course now I have the problem of estimating my next recipe to I assume 75% efficiency or 90%?

Sounds like if you assume the weight of the grains was 10# then your efficiency was accurate. I think BMW is pretty accurate with their measurements. It does suck when you get efficiency ratings all over the place and don't know how to predict. If you are confident in your reading than I would guess your efficiency would be about the same for your next beer if they are similiar grain bill sizes.

If your efficiency is 91% it means that it will be that much quicker to save up for your next batch! :)

Latest posts

Back