2nd AG batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
My 2nd batch AG is going to be Northern Brewers Cream Ale kit. I understand the mash at 150+ routine. But the instructions say 20 min at 122 degrees then 60 min at 152 degrees. Why and how do you do this? any thoughts?

The lower temperature is a protein rest. From John Palmers "How to Brew":

Modification is the term that describes the degree of breakdown during malting of the protein-starch matrix (endosperm) that comprises the bulk of the seed. Moderately-modified malts benefit from a protein rest to break down any remnant large proteins into smaller proteins and amino acids as well as to further release the starches from the endosperm. Fully-modified malts have already made use of these enzymes and do not benefit from more time spent in the protein rest regime. In fact, using a protein rest on fully modified malts tends to remove most of the body of a beer, leaving it thin and watery. Most base malt in use in the world today is fully modified. Less modified malts are often available from German maltsters. Brewers have reported fuller, maltier flavors from malts that are less modified and make use of this rest.

You can eliminate that step if you wish. Most modern fully modified malts do fine without it. I have personally never done one in 25+ years of brewing...

GT

I agree - you don't need a protein rest with modern malts unless you are using a very high percentage of non-barley or unmalted grains.

A single step mash is sufficient.

Cheers,
Brad

I have never made a Cream ale but most recipes I see have flaked maize in the grain bill. That may be the reason for the 122 rest.

Back