2nd AG batch fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSpook

Reaction score
So I completed my 2nd AG batch last weekend.

8lbs 2-row
.5lbs Crystal 20
.25lbs biscuit malt

Mashed at 153 for 60 minutes

Shooting for 1.058 OG, finished low but ended up adding enough DME to get to 1.050 (about 8oz)
Pitched one pack of Notty
Its been 7 days in the fermenter and I havent noticed activity since yesterday afternoon. Took a gravity reading with my refractometer showing 5 brix.

Plug this into Beer Smith and that shows an adjusted FG of 1.002

WTF?!?! Everything states it should be at about 1.015 or so.

Any idea why it went so low? I had this same issue with my 1st AG batch, but then I attributed it to a low mash temp (only hit 148ish) this time I was spot on with temp if not a little high at times.

I calc it as a starting gravity of 1.043
Now for no activity. I bet the lid is not sealed good. Forget the brix, whats the gravity now.
The lower the FG the more alcohol you have. It also shows how the yeast did. I doubt you will ever see 1.002 thou. I'm betting around 1.012 FG
RDWHAHB

Tepe is right, you probably have a bad seal. It is not really a problem to not "see" activity.

Forget the brix, whats the gravity now.

He said it was 1.002. Which is the adjusted gravity reading from the Brix.

I would take a hydrometer reading to ensure accuracy. I've noticed my refractometer is sometimes off when reading the FG, but not far off. I just use my converted refracotmeter reading since it's close enough. But it's worth you checking out. As for the low gravity, that could be a number of things. If you can tell us your procedure in detail as far as mashing, that would help. I've gotten very low gravities like that because of my mash technique.

5 brix is more like 1.019 no way can 5 brix = 1.002
10 brix = 1.038 so 5 brix would be 1/2 or 1.019

Fermented gravity Brix readings do not go by the unfermented gravity Brix forumula.

Unfermented is basically 4*Brix.
Fermented is different...I'll see if I can find the exact formula...

I checked the seal, gtg there, I am getting 1 bubble every 5 or 6 minutes, saw it while I was working in the shop downstairs, so I guess its not completely over.

As far as the mash goes, here is what I do...

Heat 9 gallons of water to 168 degrees. heat 1 gallon water to boil on grill side burner.

take one gallon of the heated water and put in mashtun, swirl it around and let sit with lid on for 10 minutes to preheat. Dump tha gallon into cleaning bucket.

add 3.5 gallons (or whatever it calls for per recipe) into MT and add grains, stir, let sit for 5 minutes and take temp reading. adjust with either boiling water or cool water as needed to hit 2 degrees above temp (4 degree avg loss from tun over 60 minutes)

Let sit 60 minutes, taking temp readings every 20 minutes to ensure holding temp.

in last 10 minutes of mash heat the remaining 4.5 gallons of water to 178 degrees, pour into HLT. (178 allows for loss due to cooler temp and enough to bring mash to 168+ for sparge)
Fly sparge and drain into kettle

How does that sound?

Latest posts

Back