2gall into 5gall keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raf1919

Reaction score
I never finish my 5gall batches and i want to try new kits all the time. I invested into kegging system so have 5gallon kegs. would it be a problem if i made a 2gall batch and just put it in my 5g keg?

No it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Before racking into the keg, make sure it's been purged with CO2 (eg, pressurize it, burp it a bit, pressurize it again, then depressurize and remove the lid carefully to leave a blanket of CO2 in the keg) and then rack "under" the CO2 blanket.

When you're done, put the lid on and pressurize/burp again as usual, then chill/set/forget.

You'll use a little more CO2 on the front side to take up the space you're not using, but it's the same either way.

Should be fine as they said, pump a few pounds of pressure in there, doesn't need to be alot. Bleed the excess air out to make sure it is all C02 and then put your siphon hose through the blanket of C02, you will probably see it.

I generally pump the C02 into the out and bleed from the top.

Ha! I keep trying to figure out how to get more out of my system!

Can I ask why purge with co2 before?

Seems kinda waste.

Rack the beer.
Hook up co2
Hold pressure relief open for about 5 seconds to purge air with co2.
As co2 is heavier the air should be the first to vent out.
Leaving a blanket of co2 above the beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The idea is that if you purge the O2, then rack the beer you won't mix the small amount of O2 in the keg into the beer while racking.
Besides it uses very little CO2 to purge the keg.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I do this quite often when I decide to bottle half the batch. I do purge pretty well before racking though, but I'd do that with 5 gallons too.

thanks guys. Ya i just hate wasting beer and even more hating waiting months before i get to make a new batch. wife doesn't drink beer, my friends aren't really keen on craft brews so i'm on my own.

Back