269 foot rally car jump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ESPN does the Red Bull New Years No Limits stunt every year at Midnight Eastern time.

A few years ago the backflipped a Baja truck:

And last years stunt was jumping a bike up onto the Arc in Vegas and then back off it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Def takes some balls to do this but the stunts with the car and truck are engineered not to fail. They design the ramp and tell the driver to hit it at x mph

Def takes some balls to do this but the stunts with the car and truck are engineered not to fail. They design the ramp and tell the driver to hit it at x mph

Yeah it's that simple. :rolleyes: Watch the first backflip attempts with the trucks and you'll see they definitely mess up and have serious consequences.

Travis Pastrana may be "too well known" for some people but he truly is an action sports star. He does everything, and does it well.

I didn't even see the advertising for this stunt and totally missed it live, but damn, beautiful. Travis has some balls.

You must not watch ESPN, they hyped the hell out of it for the last week.

Tried to watch it live by the 1.5hr build up was seriously hard to watch.

Sounds to me like he had a "moment" when he saw the wall coming. His "woo hoo" upon getting out of the vehicle was a little shaky :). Not saying I would do better.

There is absolutely nothing anyone can say to diminish the awesomeness here. I mean Evil made some ballsy jumps in his day, but he was mostly a hack who didn't care about ambulance rides (and took them often). Travis is much more of an athlete even if only for the amount of training he puts in. I mean, I'm not even that much of an X-games type fan and I could care less about rally but he doesn't half ass anything.

Pretty awesome no matter how you look at it! Whats next I wonder? I'm going for a hot-wheel loop-de-loop maneuver in a car al-la 1980's hotwheel toys... :)

There is absolutely nothing anyone can say to diminish the awesomeness here. I mean Evil made some ballsy jumps in his day, but he was mostly a hack who didn't care about ambulance rides (and took them often). Travis is much more of an athlete even if only for the amount of training he puts in. I mean, I'm not even that much of an X-games type fan and I could care less about rally but he doesn't half ass anything.

meh, doing a jump like travis did requires nothing more then hitting the ramp at the right speed and hitting it straight. Evil had to control his balance during take off, the jump, and landing. Now, that slide Travis did was awesome, dont get me wrong. I watched the video and thought it was pretty wicked, but its totally an engineered stunt with a highly predictable and pretty safe outcome.

I got sucked into that Thursday night and must admit I was hoping he'd wreck himself. It was quite an impressive stunt. However, hearing Marcellus Wiley try to compare it to football every two minutes was one of the more painful experiences of my life.

i wonder if a car could do that.. probably not. even race trim is too heavy i suspect.

I've heard that Indy cars have enough downforce on them that they could stick to a track during a loop and could drive upside down with enough speed.

Be interesting to see THAT... maybe an idea for next year ESPN/RedBull!

Well even a motorcycle doing the loop-de-loop trick would be nice too; but I think it could be done with the right amount of speed and short enough loop... be cool and crazy to watch...

Other than that trick I could just think of a bond style jump from a plane in a car out of the car in mid-air and parachute down into a moving car on a mountain and then off the mountain and a quick chute change and another jump onto the back of a motorcycle and then he cures cancer....

Hmmm... :)

Well even a motorcycle doing the loop-de-loop trick would be nice too; but I think it could be done with the right amount of speed and short enough loop... be cool and crazy to watch...

Other than that trick I could just think of a bond style jump from a plane in a car out of the car in mid-air and parachute down into a moving car on a mountain and then off the mountain and a quick chute change and another jump onto the back of a motorcycle and then he cures cancer....

whoa. um okay. without special effects right?

A motorcycle on a loop has been done at almost every Barnum and Bailey circus I've been to. Of course, it's a tiny radius compared to what I'd like to see, but I'm sure it can be done pretty easily. Hell, Matt Hoffman did a loop on a bmx for Jackass.

Cool, check this out...

1.5 hour build up for a 60 second stunt? i can't stand espn commentators when they are talking about real sports... ;)

I like the rally car jump, but it must be said that he runs like a girl.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who noticed.

I was fortunate to see TP and the Nitro Gang at Supercross St Louis last year...Here I am with Streetbike Tommy

tommy.bmp

I'm a little late to the party, but its not just as easy as people make it out to be.

Case in point:
Watch the last minute, you'll get the idea. Its not as safe and simple as "hitting it straight at a certain speed"

Travis is one really awsome guy. Last year at the Oregon Trail Rally, he talked to my son for about 5 minutes, about motorcycles and rally racing. (My son was 5 at the time so it can be difficult to talk to him for 5 min about anything.) Hes a very down to earth guy, and made time for everyone to get an autograph if they wanted one.

3534685133_c5be589cd9.jpg

You are saying the car was damaged as a result of missing the jump. I'm saying that I did not see that happen.

I'm a little late to the party, but its not just as easy as people make it out to be.

Case in point:
Watch the last minute, you'll get the idea. Its not as safe and simple as "hitting it straight at a certain speed"

Exactly, its not just point and shoot. You need to test it, and a damaged car can be/was the result.

I said no such thing.

He messed up the landing. And, as he said in the video, he was relieved that he was still in line with where he wouldnt land in the water during the real jump.

I said the damaged car was a result of the testing. Testing that needs to be done because its lot as simple as some people make it out to be. Am I wrong? Read before you post.

I think he's actually accusing the production team of faking the bad landing to make it look more dangerous than it really was. Then again, I don't know for sure.

Good point, I didnt read it like that. But it doesn't change the fact that he's wrong about what I "said".

I agree that the angles are bad. For God's sake, they probably have countless camera men and camera's inside the car, they could have shown us something else. And I think I even here him should "I didn't go fast enough, my bad!"

The trick is neat, I'm totally behind that, but there is testing and practice done for a reason.

Good point, I didnt read it like that. But it doesn't change the fact that he's wrong about what I "said".

I agree that the angles are bad. For God's sake, they probably have countless camera men and camera's inside the car, they could have shown us something else. And I think I even here him should "I didn't go fast enough, my bad!"

The trick is neat, I'm totally behind that, but there is testing and practice done for a reason.

"Said" was the wrong word - sorry. I am inferring from your posts that you believe the footage showed that he crashed. Bobby_M is right about my assumption, however, I wouldn't have used the word "faking" as there was nothing to fake - there is no car crash in that video. Through editing, we are lead to believe there is one.

Watching an interview with TP the day before included something about flipping or rolling a car during practice for the stunt.

Back