24hr fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRitter449

Reaction score
I currently have a 5 gallon batch of a maple pecan brown ale. I add the pecans from the beginning and leave them in through fermentation and add the maple syrup in the last 5 min of the boil. My OG is 1.056 and took a SG reading of 1.024 24hrs after seeing no activity in the airlock. I opened the lid and there was activity going on after about 12 hrs. Should I transfer to a secondary or maybe bottle ASAP to avoid bad flavoring from non active yeast cells? Or leave it in primary for the usual week to make sure fermentation is complete?

Leave it alone and let it ride for 2 more weeks. Don't take the lid off until the 2 weeks are up. But I do suggest sniffing the airlock no less than 4 times a day and if you think it feels a little loney, you can read it a bedtime story. Beer likes to feel appreciated, even before it's consumed.

Leave it alone and let it ride for 2 more weeks. Don't take the lid off until the 2 weeks are up. But I do suggest sniffing the airlock no less than 4 times a day and if you think it feels a little loney, you can read it a bedtime story. Beer likes to feel appreciated, even before it's consumed.

smack the side of the bucket a couple times and play some Barry White. Beer likes that.

1.024 is likely a ways from being finished. Do not bottle until you are sure fermentation has finished, if it ferments more in the bottles they could explode.

Do not go by time to determine the next step and do not rush things. I primary all my beers for 2 weeks or longer then take gravity readings to determine that fermentation is truly finished. I will leave it in primary longer if the beer needs to clear more. I rarely use a secondary.

Wait until fermentaiton is complete before racking. Then rack to secondary if you like, to clear up some, or you could leave in the primary for a few more days to clear and let the yeast finish their job and then bottle.

The important thing is to make sure you let the beer ferment enough to prevent bottle bombs. You might want to try different timing schedules and choose one that works to your liking best.

Personally I keg and I like to ferment about 2 weeks before just racking to the keg and getting the gas on it. When I bottle it's about 2-3 weeks depending on the beer and my free time.

Latest posts

Back