2362 pulsing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellysell

Reaction score
I have a BK with a 4500W element in it controlled by an Auber 2362 PID along with an SSR. The problem I'm having is the boil pulses when I have it anything under 95% or so in manual mode. I've read a way to correct this is to shorten the cycle rate, but this model PID's minimum is 2 seconds, which is what it's set at.

Any other way to get a more consistent boil other than just letting it go full bore?

You shouldn't see pulsing with a 2 second interval. 95% duty cycle? That must be one crazy boil. How many gallons are you boiling?

FWIW, I use the same controller with a 5500 watt ULWD element in an insulated kettle and I can easily boil 12 gallons of wort at a 60% duty cycle (2 second interval). At 60% duty, I get a consistent 13% boil off volume.

You shouldn't see pulsing with a 2 second interval. 95% duty cycle? That must be one crazy boil. How many gallons are you boiling?

FWIW, I use the same controller with a 5500 watt ULWD element in an insulated kettle and I can easily boil 12 gallons of wort at a 60% duty cycle (2 second interval). At 60% duty, I get a consistent 13% boil off volume.

You lost me with duty cycle, is that one of the parameters?

ETA - Element is in an uninsulated keggle and had probably 5-6 gallons of water in it.

Are you using AC power to trigger a DC SSR?

This would cause your SSR to cycle when triggered.

I found this out empirically - data recorded. :rockin:

I would call Auber Instruments and explain your concern to the owner. I'm certain that he will walk you through the settings so that you get the performance you need and expect. If something is going wrong, he will make it good. I think he is an outstanding business man. Give him a chance.

That controller in manual mode should give you percent of power. That is accomplished by clipping the 60 cycle sine wave into appropriate power segments. (i.e. percent of each cycle)

Please let us know what you find out in your adventure. Please..

Latest posts

Back