220v Temperature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danimal2

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm not at all a DIYer so apologies in advance for my stupidity. I live overseas and bought a Johnson temp controller. I ordered the Johnson A419ABG-3C, to be exact. I did a lot of research on here about the different 419 models, and from what I understand, there are basically two models -- one that is duel 110/240v and one that is 24VAC. It seems that the different model numbers for the A419A are just references to longer leads, longer temp probes, etc.

The one I ordered came pre-wired for 110v -- I just figured I'd re-wire (with appropriate gauge wire) for 220v. When I got my controller, the technical specs sheet says 110v input only. I assume this is because it's pre-wired for 110v, but went ahead and emailed the company I ordered from to be sure. I explained my story to the company and they told me that I should return it -- that it's not able to be converted/re-wired for 220v.

So...I took it apart and it seems there's a spot for a 240v input. I think I just answered my question -- but want to make sure not to blow the thing up. Did I just get bad advice from the company? Am I missing anything or can I go ahead and wire for 220v?

Appreciate any help you guys/gals can give a newbie.

Thanks much,
Dan

I just had a look at this http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/MET_PDF/125188.PDF and it looks like all A419A_ _ are for 120 or 208-240. You could always remove the circuit board and see if there's anything behind the left terminal of TB-1 where one leg of the 240 line would be connected. I really doubt that yours is strictly the 120V equipment even if it's wired that way.

You can always email Johnson Controls rather than your supplier, but if JC produced it that way and it's so identified via the part number, they may not approve of the change in the field. All of these type controllers I've dealt with were just the control and I had to do all of the wiring, but I don't recall the part number involved.

I am pretty sure your 220v over seas isnt the same as our 240v in the states. Our 240v run on 2 hot wires and a ground i am pretty sure over seas 220v is 1 hot wire at 220v a neutral wire and a ground. I would reccomend taking the techs advice you talked to and return it for the correct model for your country.

Based on the docs that Junkster linked to, you should be fine rewiring it. On controllers like that, the power comes in, goes through a fuse, and into a transformer to be stepped down and then rectified into DC. Hooking it up as per page 6 should not be a problem. The only real difference is that Europe uses 50Hz rather than 60Hz and in this application it really shouldn't matter (note that Johnson doesn't bother to specify an input frequency)

FWIW, I was an Industrial Electronics repair tech for quite a few years...the guy they called when the plant electrician couldn't fix it. :D

danimal2,

Were you ever able to use this successfully at 220V?

I am also looking for a 220v temp controller, although I have to admit at this juncture it's not for fermenting beer but for fermenting sausages (latest hobby I'm getting started on). Anyhow, if you were successful, I will look at the same model and making the same modifications.

Thanks,

FSBrewer

Back