211 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Ok, so I got a new fancy remote thermometer and I decided to play with it. I also needed to figure out my boil-off rate. So I got it going and It's at a slow boil and says 211 degrees. ****ty stove I guess. Is this a big issue as long as I have a slow boil?

Ok, so I got a new fancy remote thermometer and I decided to play with it. I also needed to figure out my boil-off rate. So I got it going and It's at a slow boil and says 211 degrees. ****ty stove I guess. Is this a big issue as long as I have a slow boil?

Not sure what the issue is. Water boils at 212 so you are right there and just because it's a slow boil shouldn't really matter. You are at least achieving a boil.

A good "rolling" boil makes for better beer... You can tell if it's rolling, boiling temp can change very slightly (pressure/temp) and then add some variability of your thermometer reading +\- .5deg your temp if prolly fine

A good "rolling" boil makes for better beer... You can tell if it's rolling, boiling temp can change very slightly (pressure/temp) and then add some variability of your thermometer reading +\- .5deg your temp if prolly fine

How does a rolling boil make better beer? As long as you achieve a good hot break it shouldn't really matter IMO.

You may see a decrease in hop utilization. I've experimented with two types of boiling kettle systems, steam jacketed and direct flame. The steam jacketed seems to produce a less vigorous boil vs. the direct. And when I played with identical recipes on each system I noticed a difference. Point being, you've got a boil; learn it, see what works for you, apply it and happy brewing.

Latest posts

Back