20lb CO2 tank, Hydro Expired - should I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon03

Reaction score
I've found 2 20# CO2 thanks that are being offered to me for $20 each (must buy both). The last hydro test date that can be found is 8/03. One is definitely empty, the other has some CO2 in it, but its unknown how much.

The Welders Supply shop I exchange at will still exchange them, but there is a $23.50 charge for the Hydro test, which of course would scrap the tanks if they fail.

My questions is do you think its worth pulling the trigger, buying the two tanks for $40, and chancing they fail the hydro test? I would assume at least one is fine since it is holding gas, but there is no way of being sure.

If you are swapping them does it really matter if the hydro is up to date? I've swapped out of date tanks with no charge for a hydro at my local airgas. If they are filling them, then I could see needing the up to date hydro. Just make sure that they're tanks that aren't owned by beverage companies ie coke or Pepsi as most places want nothing to do with them. I'd buy them as long as they're not owned by one of those companies.

Thanks! Called the local Airgas to make sure they do exchange (didn't mention the tanks are out of date) and they do, but she ask me if it was Food Grade or Industrial grade. I've never been ask that when exchanging before (maybe because I go to a Welder Supply shop). I have no idea what the previous use on these were, but does it really make a difference if these have been used Industrial?

From what the guy told me a the local gas house, very few tanks fail hydro testing. Also a 20 lb fill costs me $20, a 10lb is $17.50, and a 5 lb is $15.

Always nice to have 2 tanks when one runs dry...or sell the 2nd tank as is or tested. A 20 lb tank for $43.50 is a great price. If one has gas in it now, I would not be in a rush to get the other tested. A 20 lb tank lasted me a year, so the longer you go between testing, cheaper it is....

Another viewpoint is the one with gas in it may have close to $20 worth of CO2 alone....

For $40 for 2 twenty pounders you really cant go wrong IMO.

From what the guy told me a the local gas house, very few tanks fail hydro testing. Also a 20 lb fill costs me $20, a 10lb is $17.50, and a 5 lb is $15.

Always nice to have 2 tanks when one runs dry...or sell the 2nd tank as is or tested. A 20 lb tank for $43.50 is a great price. If one has gas in it now, I would not be in a rush to get the other tested. A 20 lb tank lasted me a year, so the longer you go between testing, cheaper it is....

Another viewpoint is the one with gas in it may have close to $20 worth of CO2 alone....

For $40 for 2 twenty pounders you really cant go wrong IMO.

Thanks. Airgas told me it would run $40.25 to exchange/fill a 20 lb tank. Which is pretty much in line with what I paid to fill my 5 lb ($10). Would you have no concern with using old gas from the tank that is partially full?

Thanks! Called the local Airgas to make sure they do exchange (didn't mention the tanks are out of date) and they do, but she ask me if it was Food Grade or Industrial grade. I've never been ask that when exchanging before (maybe because I go to a Welder Supply shop). I have no idea what the previous use on these were, but does it really make a difference if these have been used Industrial?

LolFoodGrade!

Just tell them to give you whatever's cheaper. It's all very clean.

Or get the Food Grade. Make yourself a tinfoil hat too while you're at it. Damn government satellites...

The price isnt too bad. ive gotten 20lbs tanks for around 30 a pop and with current hydro test dates.

$40 for exchange/fill is pretty high. i pay about $27 for an exchange (20lbs) at Roberts Oxygen. The cost for a 5lb exchange is 25 so its def worth it to go with a 20lb tank.

Thanks. Airgas told me it would run $40.25 to exchange/fill a 20 lb tank. Which is pretty much in line with what I paid to fill my 5 lb ($10). Would you have no concern with using old gas from the tank that is partially full?

$40 to fill one tank is way to much. Call around to local welding shops and save that much needed kegging $$$$.

Aluminum or steel tanks?

If steel, I would exchange them once you have used the gas in them and insist upon Al. And then check the dates and if long enough just keep and refill and then either exchange again or hydro. I've had 10 tanks hydrotested in the past 15 years I bet and none have ever failed.

I get hydro test and fill on 20# for under $30.

Aluminum or steel tanks?

If steel, I would exchange them once you have used the gas in them and insist upon Al. And then check the dates and if long enough just keep and refill and then either exchange again or hydro. I've had 10 tanks hydrotested in the past 15 years I bet and none have ever failed.

I get hydro test and fill on 20# for under $30.

Wow, great deal!
They will charge me $27 just for a Hydro test plus $27.50 for a 20# refill here. My current shiny Aluminum tank is still full (filled 3 weeks before due), but will need a hydro next time (oh yeah, they checked!). Not sure yet, I'm leaning to exchanging it when time comes.

Thanks for all the responses so quickly. I got with him over lunch break and picked both up for $35. The one with gas seems like it may be pretty full. One of them does have a large sticker that says something about a soda bottling company.

image.jpg

There's a wholesale place in Milwaukee named H Bar that charges $12 to hydro a 20 pounder, and $12 to fill a 20 pounder.

I would remove the sticker. If one tank is just about full, no rush to fill the second, you have a lot of co2!

Definitely. I also just had my 5 lb tank filled about 2 weeks ago. I forced carbed an IPA with it and have been serving from it, so plenty left there too. I'll remove the stickers from it and clean it up - then when I am getting low it'll be off for an exchange.

Definitely. I also just had my 5 lb tank filled about 2 weeks ago. I forced carbed an IPA with it and have been serving from it, so plenty left there too. I'll remove the stickers from it and clean it up - then when I am getting low it'll be off for an exchange.

Haha you sound like me, I have a collection of tanks I've picked up for peanuts. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427403951.645406.jpg

Well except for the 5 lb. the two 20 lb were $20, one was full and both needed hydro. The 10 lb steel I found on the side of the highway, needed valve and hydro for about $50...

This thread may be of use to you...I have found that places that fill are cheaper than those that exchange, at least around here, ymmv

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/co2-sales-louisville-ky-southern-indiana-130540/

Head to Welder's Supply, 335 Boxley Ave.

(502) 637-4771

Under $10 for 10 pounds, under $8 for 5 pounds, and they'll fill your cylinder rather than exchange it.

While those tanks do look a bit ratty, they are certainly valuable, a little clean up and $1-2 worth of rattle can silver spray paint will have them looking pretty, if you go the fill rather than exchange route...

So I started the "restoration" project to clean off the stickers. Most of the paint came with them. Since I am just working towards being able to exchange them, I didn't bother striping all of the paint off, it took long enough to just get those stickers removed. I gave it a single coat of paint and will hit it again tomorrow after this drys.

Tank_Refurbish_01.JPG

Tank_Refurbish_02.JPG

Tank_Refurbish_03.JPG

Tank_Refurbish_04.JPG

Tank_Refurbish_05.JPG

Tank_Refurbish_06.JPG

Wow. That looks pretty damn good! I'd just recert it and keep it. I hate the concept of swapping as you usually no longer own the tank.

Wow. That looks pretty damn good! I'd just recert it and keep it. I hate the concept of swapping as you usually no longer own the tank.

Thanks. If recert and keeping it was an option for me, I would have spent a little more time removing the old paint and ensure the surface was all smooth, but I can not find anywhere around me that will fill tanks anymore. Everyone just does exchanges.

I had a place recommended to me that did fills, so I called them to verify and was told they would fill but I had to leave the tank and pick it up the next day. About 4 days after calling them, I took in my brand new 5# tank that came with my kegging kit and they wouldn't fill it. I told the guy that I had just been told a few days ago that it could be filled and he claimed that the topic had came up over the weekend and the owners did not want to do that anymore. At least he gave me a nice tank and not a beat up one.

I also took this tank to them for an exchange and they told me that they could not exchange it because the hydro date had expired. I had called them just 2 hours prior and they told me it was $23.50 for a retest.

So now my only two experiences with this place, I've been told one thing before going and a totally different thing after getting there. Needless to say I'll be finding somewhere else to fill/exchange my tanks from now on, even if I have to pay a couple extra dollars to do so.

Welders supply
335 Boxley Ave, Louisville, KY 40209
(502) 637-4771

Right across from Papa John's Cardinal stadium.

As Wilserbrewer said, is where I exchange mine.

I bought 2 off of craigslist with a hydro from the early 1980's. The charged for a recert and went ahead and exchanged for me. The other one is still in a fridge hooked to a keg. That was about a year ago.

The first time I went they said they could fill but I would have to wait a day or so to pick it back up. But I have been several times exchanging the 2.5 that came with my kegorator.

I think I gave 20 bucks for two tanks and an ancient tap-rite regulator from a man who's father used to have a keg hooked up in his home bar. Many years ago apparently.

Welders supply
335 Boxley Ave, Louisville, KY 40209
(502) 637-4771

That is where I have been going, and being told one thing and then the opposite. As of 2 weeks ago -- they told me they would no longer "fill" and would only exchange.

Welding and therapy is on Crittenden drive, if you can find out how to get there these days. (New bridge off of strawberry lane, or grade lane at ford plant) They are a little higher and I'm not sure if they will simply fill or not. Both closed at noon today, I'm pretty sure.

Although they have filled my mig tank quite a few times over the years.

Personally I've never had a problem with exchanging the bottles. Well maybe the first time I left my brand new out of the box aluminum 2.5 that came with the kegorator. LOL

Um, did ya' paint it green?

Looks a LOT, like oxygen bottle green, which may cause some confusion / questions, when you take it to exchange it...........Just a heads up for ya'!

In the future, should this situation arise, just get the stickers off, and use some "Goo Gone" or the like , to remove the adhesive.

Forgo the paint, as it looks of an "old whore, in a new dress", which would immediately catch my eye!

A heat gun works well on the stickers too, and just to calm any potential "hazard-pointer-outers", open the tank valve before using the heat gun.......( although you don't have to.........;) )

Back