20L Speidel Working Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayZab

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone that uses a 20L speidel fermentor knows what the actual capacity is? I currently use a 30L one for brewing, but am going to be lowering my batches to 4.5gal into the fermenter, thus hoping to use the smaller 20L. I'm hoping it should work fine since I've measured my 30L and it has about a gallon of extra capacity.

I know the nominal volume already, looking for actual. The 30L one is equivalent to 7.9gal, however the actual volume of mine is 8.9gal

When I bought mine, was told max was to fill was 8.5 gallons (30 L) usable 7.9, have not ever filled it to confirm

I have 2 of the 20Ls. The actual capacity (up to where the raised part starts on top) is almost exactly 6 gallons. I ferment 4.5 gallon batches in them with no problems. You could probably even squeeze a full 5, but you'd probably want to use Fermcap. I don't need Fermcap for 4.5 gallon batches unless it's a yeast that produces a ton of krausen (paging WLP530...).

Back