20l munich?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timewasted

Reaction score
Forgive me for what is probably a very simple question. I found a recipe that calls for Munich 20l. I am putting the recipe together on brewmasters warehouse and can't find this malt. Does anyone know what it might be listed as? I have weyermann Munich type 2 on my recipe, but I think it is only 9l. Any pointers are appreciated.

I believe that Global's dark Munich is 20L. It looks significantly darker than my 10L Munich anyway.

Well, learn something new everyday. I didn't know aromatic malt was Munich. How did I miss that?!

Good question, I didn't actually realize it either until I looked at the site! I knew Briess had a 20L Munich, wanted to post a link, found it and went "I'll be damned...two..."

Ack, stay away from that crap. The breiss stuff is basically a 20L crystal malt and should be used as such. The aromatic is basically a biscuit malt. Both of these should not be used in any sizable portion of your beer, especially not the 20L munich. If your brewing a german beer and want extra maltiness, go with some of the wyermann munich II malt. If you want more than that, decoct!

It is definitely NOT a crystal malt... it is a highly kilned Munich, it is a very different process with different results. As to the Aromatic malt, my understanding from some posts I have read on probrewer.com is that it is similar to the Munich 20, but uses a different barley.

I have no idea what the recipe in question is, how much it calls for, etc., so I can't speak to it's use in this case. I would, however, be cautious if it called for over 15 or 20% of grist

Ack, stay away from that crap. The breiss stuff is basically a 20L crystal malt and should be used as such. The aromatic is basically a biscuit malt. Both of these should not be used in any sizable portion of your beer, especially not the 20L munich. If your brewing a german beer and want extra maltiness, go with some of the wyermann munich II malt. If you want more than that, decoct!

That's my experience with Briess 20L Munich as well- it has a DP of 20 which means it is NOT a base malt!

I use a lot of Briess malt, but that malt I feel is "mislabeled" as it is nothing like Weyermann Munich II (what I think of when I think of as a darker Munich malt).

True, it is not a base malt, but it definitely isn't crystal. Weyerman II is like 1/2 the lovibond of the malts in question and can easily be used as a base malt... I personally wouldn't consider it 'dark', but I suppose that is relative (I have always thought of 10L as standard Munich, 5-7 as light or pale Munich). While I cannot specifically recall using it, I have used other Munich malts that were around 10L as 100% base malt for both Marzens and Doppelbocks.

Regardless, all of this has diverted from OP's question... I think it would be fair to see the recipe before making recommendations

Oh, and for the record, I have no use for 20L Munich in anything I make anyway... "inherited" two pallets of the stuff at one pub and it was still there when I left two years later... looked cool all lit up in a little room under the grist case :D

Hmm Saisons are outside of my realm of experience... I would defer to someone who knows the style... that being said, I think the malt bill looks like something I WOULD like :)

Back