2019 Membership renewal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what level did you end up with, inquiring minds want to know?

I got invited back to Theory. Even purchased my renewal as well as a new CPU two days ago and threw a fraud flag on my CC. Oh man, that was a fun morning.

I keep hearing grumblings of a Lost Cause Meadery membership forming. Anyone hear anything about that? That's about the only other thing I'd consider at this point.

Hmmm, I was planning on going to their release this weekend. I'll ask Billy about it.

Hmmm, I was planning on going to their release this weekend. I'll ask Billy about it.

Curious to hear more, for sure. Always see teases of it with regards to the new tasting room opening in Bay Park. The one beer membership is plenty for me, but I'd totally add mead to the stock pile considering it can be opened and saved and also because the wife enjoys it and would help drink it.

Ah, I thought it was still active.
oh okay. Yeah they have only run it twice and it was sort of an odd club anyway. As someone who lived in Philadelphia, I loved it and wish they'll do another round. Gave me a good excuse to go and the discount was nice.

Curious to hear more, for sure. Always see teases of it with regards to the new tasting room opening in Bay Park. The one beer membership is plenty for me, but I'd totally add mead to the stock pile considering it can be opened and saved and also because the wife enjoys it and would help drink it.

Their tasting room in Bay Park will be right next to Deft Brewing. Mo is making some great traditional style beers at Deft.

I got invited back to Theory. Even purchased my renewal as well as a new CPU two days ago and threw a fraud flag on my CC. Oh man, that was a fun morning.

Congrats on year 3! I got the invite for next year, so I'm stoked as well!

Please let us know what you find out about the Lost Cause membership.

H'ok, so chatted with Billy about it today. The answer is yes, but still in planning stages, although it sounds like he wants to launch it in November this year (while people haven't spent all their money for the holidays, which makes sense). His plan is to launch 2 memberships. One being exclusive that he would cap around 250 or so ppl and be a yearly thing, so like most beer memberships. The second being something that will be wide open and be a year in length but can be started whenever, much like a wine membership (since they have the license to ship to 38 different states).

That is about it, he asked me which memberships I felt did things right. I said the customer service of Modern Times but the release schedule of SARA. But the most important thing, I think, that I mentioned was don't over promise. Since some memberships that I had that did over promise (*cough Wild Barrel *cough) have tended to fail across the board in delivery.

He also has a meadowfoam honey + candy cap mushroom aged in oak mead coming out and it is damn delicious.

H'ok, so chatted with Billy about it today. The answer is yes, but still in planning stages, although it sounds like he wants to launch it in November this year (while people haven't spent all their money for the holidays, which makes sense). His plan is to launch 2 memberships. One being exclusive that he would cap around 250 or so ppl and be a yearly thing, so like most beer memberships. The second being something that will be wide open and be a year in length but can be started whenever, much like a wine membership (since they have the license to ship to 38 different states).

That is about it, he asked me which memberships I felt did things right. I said the customer service of Modern Times but the release schedule of SARA. But the most important thing, I think, that I mentioned was don't over promise. Since some memberships that I had that did over promise (*cough Wild Barrel *cough) have tended to fail across the board in delivery.

He also has a meadowfoam honey + candy cap mushroom aged in oak mead coming out and it is damn delicious.

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely intrigued. Good advice re: breweries that do it right. Having been in five different ones over the years - which I know pales in comparison to many of you - Modern Times is definitely the gold standard, especially with customer service. And you're correct - over promising is the worst, and is guaranteed to piss everyone off. Added surprises throughout the year are a great way to generate buzz for future membership sales.

For some reason I’ve never unsubscribed from Bruery emails from when I was a reserve member. Reserve sale started Friday, and shocker I get an email today that spots are still available.
Bruery be like...
giphy.gif

Lost Abbey (yellow bus announcement got me)
Ha, same. Splitting it with a friend and our view going in is that we're just in it for the beers whenever they're ready. We expect minimal engagement, infrequent releases, and mediocre communication. All of the complaints people have about the current incarnation of their club (that I've heard, anyway) center on lack of engagement and customer service, which we don't really give a **** about...cautiously optimistic that with the right expectations going in, it'll be worthwhile.

Modern Times League
Cellador V
HPB Bottle Friends
SARA
Horus
Lost Abbey

I like beer.

But I pretty much never buy any beer, other than what is available through these clubs. And the occasional World Classic shelfie like Orval, Weihenstephaner Hefe, Pivo, etc.

Last edited:
Ha, same. Splitting it with a friend and our view going in is that we're just in it for the beers whenever they're ready. We expect minimal engagement, infrequent releases, and mediocre communication. All of the complaints people have about the current incarnation of their club (that I've heard, anyway) center on lack of engagement and customer service, which we don't really give a **** about...cautiously optimistic that with the right expectations going in, it'll be worthwhile.

Right there with ya, and that is how it has been. I guess some ppl are needy and have to have their hand held through the entire year.

It is why I really like the SARA club. Beer is ready, whenever the **** it wants to be ready....and nobody says a thing in the FB group otherwise except for asking for a proxy pickup or posting the usual pictures at a beach. It is quite relaxing.

It is why I really like the SARA club. Beer is ready, whenever the **** it wants to be ready....and nobody says a thing in the FB group otherwise except for asking for a proxy pickup or posting the usual pictures at a beach. It is quite relaxing.
I think it's really a matter of breweries being realistic in what they have the resources to offer, as well as consumers understanding that various clubs are going to be vastly different - expecting every club to have every perk and the same level of engagement, service, and experience is a recipe for disappointment. I suspect that as the market for brewery clubs matures, we're going to see some programs overhauled and probably a few abandoned.

Anyway, along with Lost Abbey:
Modern Times Theory (duh)
Horus (renewed in June for year 2, splitting with a friend)

Yeah I haven't had a problem with Lost Abbey this year. The beers have been fantastic and that's all I really care about. I'm not looking for a MT-like or Bruery-like club where there are a ton of releases every month. My emails to LA have been replied to in an acceptable timeframe and I haven't had an issue with pickups.

Yeah I haven't had a problem with Lost Abbey this year. The beers have been fantastic and that's all I really care about. I'm not looking for a MT-like or Bruery-like club where there are a ton of releases every month. My emails to LA have been replied to in an acceptable timeframe and I haven't had an issue with pickups.
Out of curiosity, what were the releases in 2019 for the Lost Abbey club?

Out of curiosity, what were the releases in 2019 for the Lost Abbey club?

Zinners & Saints (club exclusive)
Oude Testament
DDG '19 (early access)
Sinners Blend '19 (club exclusive)
Agave Maria Reserva
Veritas Raspberry
Peach Afternoon (club exclusive)
Cable Car '19
O'Brien's 25th
Veritas 022

Zinners & Saints (club exclusive)
Oude Testament
DDG '19 (early access)
Sinners Blend '19 (club exclusive)
Agave Maria Reserva
Veritas Raspberry
Peach Afternoon (club exclusive)
Cable Car '19
O'Brien's 25th
Veritas 022

Zinners & Saints and Peach Afternoon are two of the best LA beers every made. I still need try many of those though.

I was part of Lost Abbey club in 2018 and didn't have any issues. They delivered what they said they would.

Problem was the person that ran it in 2018 left and they scrambled most of 2019 to find a replacement.

Ah, gotcha. It can be rough when people keep changing, but I doubt it's a position that pays enough - at least at most places - to keep people very long before they seek other opportunities.

Modern Times League
Cellador V
HPB Bottle Friends
SARA
Horus
Lost Abbey

I like beer.

But I pretty much never buy any beer, other than what is available through these clubs. And the occasional World Classic shelfie like Orval, Weihenstephaner Hefe, Pivo, etc.

I like your style. Sorry dumb question. But do you split those memberships? Or is that for you and your spouse. :).

I like your style. Sorry dumb question. But do you split those memberships? Or is that for you and your spouse. :).
Don't split. I tried splitting my first year of MT League, and I found out very quickly that the hassle of communicating, tracking, and managing the split was a much, much bigger deal than the cost of the second half of the membership. I went through the first couple of months of that membership just annoyed with myself and that obligation, to the point that I could not WAIT to get out of it for the next year. Eventually, I just "bought out" the other guy from the split, and basically told him, "Dude, I'll just buy what I want and what sounds good, and I'll share anything that I have with you, and just give you a bunch of ****en beer at the end of the year." We're good.

As a member of a bunch of clubs, I count myself as one of those "best/worst" club members-- I buy things in fits and starts... sometimes going months without a single purchase; I always look at the club membership as a way to support a business I care about, and all of the beers and other perks that come with it are just their way of thanking me for the support; I don't complain about communication or missing out on any specific beers, and I find I am constantly surprised by the quality, diversity, and camaraderie offered by these breweries, which I try to look at as a reciprocation of this mindset that I bring to my participation in the club (even if it's not).

But yeah... I have way too much ****en beer. I am sure this comes as no surprise.

LOL @ the Alesmith "Welcome to 2020 membership" email that went out last night... when I didn't renew.

I first checked to make sure it wasn't an auto-renew situation. Then I scrolled down. Not a good look, IMO:

DIDN'T RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP?
You Still Get One More Benefit, Plus There's Still Time to Join!

We know that there is a lot of competition out there for the hard-earned dollars you allocate towards beer club memberships. We're still relatively young to the membership game despite being almost 25 years old as a brewery, and we're always looking to grow and improve. We hate to see you go, but on your way out please allow us to invite you to this year's upcoming 2020 Member Welcome Party so you can enjoy one last member perk and maybe convince you that we are changing and growing enough to keep you as a member.

We love hearing feedback from all of our members, even from those that have decided to move on. What better way is there to discuss your thoughts about the membership than sharing them over some high-end AleSmith barrel-aged offerings? We hope you can join us.

If you still want to be an Order of the Anvil member and registration just slipped your mind, then don't worry! There is still time to join us for the 2020 member year. Please click on the button below to renew your membership!

---

While it shows they really want to retain members I don’t see anything there that is especially desperate in tone. They acknowledge you didn’t renew, requested your feedback and are offering an extended perk to help entice you to rejoin. Now a club that I would say comes off as desperate and not a good look is the bruery. I haven’t been a member for 4yrs and I still get blasted with enrollment emails. Lol

I'm surprised I haven't heard from the Bruery since I was a RS member for many years but haven't been in the last few years. I do get their press releases though. Excited to try their Helles.

While it shows they really want to retain members I don’t see anything there that is especially desperate in tone. They acknowledge you didn’t renew, requested your feedback and are offering an extended perk to help entice you to rejoin. Now a club that I would say comes off as desperate and not a good look is the bruery. I haven’t been a member for 4yrs and I still get blasted with enrollment emails. Lol

Same. I think I got emails for like four months last year from the Bruery trying to get me to join after a single year of RS membership in 2014.

And SARA’s email is like WHO ISNT REJOINING, PEOPLE COMPLAIN DAILY ABOUT OUR 5 YEAR WAITING LIST.

Collected Works didn’t die yet, and SARA cellar isn’t going anywhere. The only other clubs I’d join would be Floodland or SP, but I don’t see either happening, so no changes for 2020 besides some minor restructuring of CW.

SARA / Floodland / Perennial / DG / Casey

Dont see myself dropping SARA / Floodland that's for sure.

Casey I might drop next year after my friends get their fill. I'm pretty much only buying bottles for my trade partners at this point. Will grab Leaner/Velvet for myself (and i hear they're bottling a stout too).

Perennial we'll see how the rest of this year plays out. Nice to get Anni blend / Maman so far. I dont need more sours/saisons from them though. Hoping to see BAA / Blue Ridge / BA Fantastic Voyage before the membership year ends.

De Garde (premier) - have enough in my allocation these days to grab as much DG as my trade partners want. Also nice to pick up the releases I really enjoy (Nectarine Premier). Should be keeping this one.

And SARA’s email is like WHO ISNT REJOINING, PEOPLE COMPLAIN DAILY ABOUT OUR 5 YEAR WAITING LIST.

Collected Works didn’t die yet, and SARA cellar isn’t going anywhere. The only other clubs I’d join would be Floodland or SP, but I don’t see either happening, so no changes for 2020 besides some minor restructuring of CW.

heard they're auto charging your card for 1 of every release for CW?

heard they're auto charging your card for 1 of every release for CW?

That’s correct. Unsure how if on site only/lotto stuff will be included, but they’ve been really good to us so far...

Also, iso Maman share :cool:

Damn, I've never heard of Floodland. I'm out of the loop.

#oldmoney

The few I have had the pleasure of having are very delicious. Not sure how to get in the club, but since it is up in the great white north, well past Canada, I am not willing to try.

I failed at getting in HF and (much like years past with SARA), I am on some weird waiting list for Side Project (although I don't think that is real and Corey is just pulling my leg)...but I don't think I will get myself into either.

The few I have had the pleasure of having are very delicious. Not sure how to get in the club, but since it is up in the great white north, well past Canada, I am not willing to try.

I failed at getting in HF and (much like years past with SARA), I am on some weird waiting list for Side Project (although I don't think that is real and Corey is just pulling my leg)...but I don't think I will get myself into either.

SP is on my wishlist as well but not counting on getting into that hah.

Floodland had a handful of openings back in september. Few spots opened up from those that dropped (or were dropped) from 2019 in addition to a few more new spots. I believe he backfilled with people off the waitlist. Then it was a lottery to get in for the "new spots". He asked for donations to planned parenthood to be entered into said lottery.

He asked for donations to planned parenthood to be entered into said lottery.

Solid, but I can't donate to PP. Been trying as hard as I can to donate to non-divisive organizations (sucks that this is so divisive, but whatever, all humans are dumb anyways) for the decade+ I have been donating. Because of that, basically Surfrider is the only one that gets my money. Eventually someone will come out and say that oceans are bad and we should pollute them to death, but until they do....they can have my money.

Edit: And just in case it isn't clear...PP is awesome and I am also a dumb human.

Back