2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was horrible. The guy on the left should have googled for the correct chords. Probably to busy being a rock star to worry about playing it correctly.

I wouldn't say it was horrible but I was certainly a bit underwhelmed

It was horrible. The guy on the left should have googled for the correct chords. Probably to busy being a rock star to worry about playing it correctly.

I wouldn't say it was horrible but I was certainly a bit underwhelmed

Uh, it was fine. There was nothing wrong with the chords. He was playing the appropriate harmony.

I was underwhelmed, though. I kind of expected someone to actually SING the anthem. Or at least embellish a little bit to make it interesting.

I stopped watching the playoffs when the Lightning exited (yea, that's the kind of hockey fan I am, live with it)

But I was curious about the anthem and found it on Youtube. Meh. I don't ever need to hear that again. I don't know about the harmony - sounded discordant to me in a few places. I don't know what the "right" notes are, but I sure know when something sounds bad, and there were a few painful spots in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hammett misses a couple of notes on lead. Hetfield did well providing counterpoint harmony in standard metal fashion. It's really nothing different than you'd hear in many harmonized anthems, but the guitar crunch makes it sound heavier.

They seem to be getting some pretty good comments in the national online news outlets.

Hammett misses a couple of notes on lead. Hetfield did well providing counterpoint harmony in standard metal fashion. It's really nothing different than you'd hear in many harmonized anthems, but the guitar crunch makes it sound heavier.

They seem to be getting some pretty good comments in the national online news outlets.

Unfortunately, Arturo is right. National news outlets wouldn't know a chord progression if it bit them in the ass. I noticed it right away, Hammett was getting very, uh, "creative" with the chords (not the harmony notes, which were fine).

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXgNb7ZCtcI[/ame]

Listen to the little run that starts at: 1:24, you'll hear it.

The only part that I thought sounded "wrong" not just embellished or stylized or whatever, was the "rockets' red glare" part from about 1:40 to 1:45 in the above video. Noticed it on TV too

The only part that I thought sounded "wrong" not just embellished or stylized or whatever, was the "rockets' red glare" part from about 1:40 to 1:45 in the above video. Noticed it on TV too

That and one other spot was the only thing I noticed that was off. Hammett simply stumbles there. He's probably not used to playing to such a large crowd! ;)

One thing that Metallica and many other good metal bands are good at is using more unusual chords.

One thing that Metallica and many other good metal bands are good at is using more unusual chords.

If by unusual, you mean a barre chord that clashes with the overall harmonic structure of the song, then I agree completely!

(Looks like the finals won't last too much longer, gotta argue about something else to keep the thread alive)

It's going to be really hard for SJ to survive this. But it will be exciting if they win the next one.
I thought the Penguins would win since they beat the Caps.

:(

He had a tough time with his health the past couple of years but looked to be doing much better last I heard. He had some stem cell treatments abroad that seemed to make a huge improvement.

I personally think the Ilitches should reconsider naming the new arena "Little Cesar's Arena" and name it "Gordie Howe Arena" instead. There wasn't a more well known and respected player on the team.

in '98, game 4 of the Finals, when it was obvious the Wings were gonna sweep the Caps, we looked down to the lower section of MCI Center, saw Gordie Howe and thought it was an honor just to see the man from 100 feet away

Pittsburgh did play better. But Jones was amazing in goal for SJ. Except for a couple of empty net goals, every game was decided by one, iirc. Pretty exciting.

I love how Pascal Dupuis suited up and was the 3rd to hoist the cup. Very classy guy and classy of his teammates.

Back