2016 SARA Cellar Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny timing with talking about aging Sante, someone at my table asked Tim about it last night and he is apparently really anti-aging beer, especially Sante. He said the most they'll give is a one-year window, and the fruited stuff should be opened even sooner.

This doesn't quite match my experience, but after adding the recent allocation to my Sante shelf I realized that I have a ****ton of saisons that I don't expect to get any better. Considering hosting a "help me drink all this ****" party after the holidays...

Considering hosting a "help me drink all this ****" party after the holidays...

3oz8xOrBa4FBAuFzri.gif

Funny timing with talking about aging Sante, someone at my table asked Tim about it last night and he is apparently really anti-aging beer, especially Sante. He said the most they'll give is a one-year window, and the fruited stuff should be opened even sooner.

This doesn't quite match my experience, but after adding the recent allocation to my Sante shelf I realized that I have a ****ton of saisons that I don't expect to get any better. Considering hosting a "help me drink all this ****" party after the holidays...
I guess it just depends on what your palate prefers? I love how much the funk comes up on the Sante beers after some time.

Can help you go through your lambic stash as well ;)
No that's intentionally aging.
I guess it just depends on what your palate prefers? I love how much the funk comes up on the Sante beers after some time.
Personal preference is always a thing, but I don't think most Sante really benefits from extended aging.

On topic:

Your final allotment of 2016 will be available for pickup starting Friday, December 30, 2016! Your final allotment consists of two club only beers: Beneath the Waves, An Ocean is a 5.6% barrel-aged saison with oysters and seaweed, and Recency Effect is a gin barrel-aged saison. We have enough Beneath the Waves, An Ocean, to offer each member an additional bottle at $20. Of course you are under no obligation to buy this extra bottle. All extras must be purchased in person.

We had Beneath the Waves last night, it was good and weird.

someone at my table asked Tim about it last night and he is apparently really anti-aging beer, especially Sante. He said the most they'll give is a one-year window, and the fruited stuff should be opened even sooner.

Definitely a preference. I personally like all their stuff aged 6 months or more. It develops a mature tartness that I prefer over the young stuff. Bernice does get better with age, and I still have some bottles of batch 2, 3, 4 that I am cellaring to test the limits of the beer. I think Sante bugs are really robust, so it should last many years.

Another personal experiment I have going is a growler of Chavez that was filled in March of this year. I plan to open it 1 year later to see if it becomes "Puckered Chavez"? It might taste like crap, but I am dying to know if it will be tart or sour?

Finally, I got some 38 mile cans that I will open in 3 months and 6 months, to see how they taste for giggles.

KMVZg6x.jpg

NVvUq1W.jpg

Another personal experiment I have going is a growler of Chavez that was filled in March of this year. I plan to open it 1 year later to see if it becomes "Puckered Chavez"? It might taste like crap, but I am dying to know if it will be tart or sour?

Finally, I got some 38 mile cans that I will open in 3 months and 6 months, to see how they taste for giggles.

KMVZg6x.jpg

NVvUq1W.jpg
if bad, just add blueberries and you got yourself black room, blue phone. LOL

Last edited:
Definitely a preference. I personally like all their stuff aged 6 months or more. It develops a mature tartness that I prefer over the young stuff. Bernice does get better with age, and I still have some bottles of batch 2, 3, 4 that I am cellaring to test the limits of the beer. I think Sante bugs are really robust, so it should last many years.

KMVZg6x.jpg

NVvUq1W.jpg
I also think Cellarman might be an exception to that rule. Lord knows I'll find out, I have Cellarman back to B2, Bernice back to at least B6, >1 year old Maiden Fields, and probably some other things I can't even think of right now.

For my taste, Bright Sea Blonde really starts singing after about 6 months-1 year. Also don't mind Lucybelle with a little extra bottle time for bacteria to work.
Strongly agree on BSB, especially. The Brett really comes through, and the carb gets to a really special place.

For my taste, Bright Sea Blonde really starts singing after about 6 months-1 year. Also don't mind Lucybelle with a little extra bottle time for the bacteria to work.

Strongly agree on BSB, especially. The Brett really comes through, and the carb gets to a really special place.

Agreed that BSB shines with age and lso recently had a Lucybelle B1 that was tasting great. Continuing on the theme, opened a Hoeybier over the weekend: much of the initial sweetness is starting to fade into that great SARA funk.

This weekend my buddy cracked a West Ashley he believes was batch 1 or 2 that he purchased in 2013. The apricot had fallen way off compared to fresh WA (not sure I ever tried that batch fresh) but it was dry and super funky. I'm not one to cellar anything, but that made me wish I saved a couple WA bottles.

I also think Cellarman might be an exception to that rule. Lord knows I'll find out, I have Cellarman back to B2, Bernice back to at least B6, >1 year old Maiden Fields, and probably some other things I can't even think of right now.

I drank a B1 Cellarman by myself (because I am a lonely loser dad) a couple months ago and it was sublime.

Let me know when you're having your aged Sante party, because I have a BUNCH of things that I've held onto for no good reason, for far too long. I'd be happy to contribute all of that + an extra semi-functioning liver to the cause.

I drank a B1 Cellarman by myself (because I am a lonely loser dad) a couple months ago and it was sublime.

Let me know when you're having your aged Sante party, because I have a BUNCH of things that I've held onto for no good reason, for far too long. I'd be happy to contribute all of that + an extra semi-functioning liver to the cause.

xT1XGUM8m88TVfDh5K.gif

I was going to say that no one else can bring any beer (I can probably open 20 bottles people will actually want to drink, ie not Rare Barrel), but I'll make an exception for a fellow "holy **** we don't drink anymore near as much beer as parents what are we going to do with this ****?" club member.

any room for an out of towner at said ASARA fiesta? :)

i have some with age to contribute
Well, a few things:

1) If I do this, anyone would be welcome.
2) If I do this, no one (except maybe buzzword) would be allowed to bring beer.
3) Other people are totally free to do their own big SARA vintage tasting if that's what they want.

Well, a few things:

3) Other people are totally free to do their own big SARA vintage tasting if that's what they want.
I also have a child!

This weekend my buddy cracked a West Ashley he believes was batch 1 or 2 that he purchased in 2013. The apricot had fallen way off compared to fresh WA (not sure I ever tried that batch fresh) but it was dry and super funky. I'm not one to cellar anything, but that made me wish I saved a couple WA bottles.
It's probably 2-4. Batch 1 was handwritten on 16e labels. Batch 2-4 was all 2013

Drank a Capitola Sunset last night, what a great beer. Really hope this becomes a more regular offering.

Also as this has been discussed recently those early batches of Cellarman are sublime. We did a batch 1-4 vertical earlier in the year and Batch 1 was the clear stand out. We were all surprised, but Batch 1 definitely still had legs on it.

Well, a few things:

Missed you the other night at the T but would like to join in on this.

Cool that I'll manage to be there on his last day. He'll definitely be missed. Still amazed that he remembers my name despite how infrequently I've been visiting...

Seriously! He once complimented my wife's new haircut and she's rarely there on days he's pouring. Dude has impeccable memory.

Jason's work ethic is off the charts and his contributions in keeping the Sante ship sailing have been immeasurable. I'm excited for what the future holds for him.

Personal fun fact...we went to the same HS about 10 years apart.

I know you don't read these ******** forums but you'll be missed J!

Cool that I'll manage to be there on his last day. He'll definitely be missed. Still amazed that he remembers my name despite how infrequently I've been visiting...

I live out of state so can't visit nearly as much as some of you, but I have always been blown away by how friendly everyone is when I do go. I've run into Adair at festivals a few times and she always remembers me which I find incredible. Truly some of the nicest people in the industry work at Sante.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back