2015 US Hops crop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frickin'... just got back from the LHBS, 1 ounce packet prices are much higher than a few months ago.

Cascade jumped a quarter, Centennial by 50¢, and Amarillo is $3.49 right now, I think it used to be $2.79.

:(

With all these breweries opening up and more and more people getting into homebrewing since "craft beer" is the hot new thing, I suspect the hop prices to get even higher.

Better start brewing more lagers.. :(

I heard the shortage of Simcoe and Amarillo were coming.

So I pre ordered 5lbs each and picked them up 2 weeks ago,

As an ag man myself I can tell you that the growing season last year sucked. I would bet that primarily on the shortage and then the large influx of new breweries.

Time to rethink your tastebuds.

I imagine 2014 crops will not be on sale, at least for the bigger ones like the "C" hops and such.

I pulled the trigger at Yakima Valley Hops (again) on a pound of Citra, a pound of Centennial, and a pound of Pacific Gem. Good prices and I was getting nervous about getting any 2015 Citra.

Here's to perfecting an APA recipe! :mug:

Any more reports on 2015 crops? I've been avoiding Amarillo after a bad crop a few years ago but I had a nice Amarillo based IPA recently. How is this years crop?

Reading this thread makes me depressed about the availability and prices we pay here in Japan! You guys are so lucky!

Any more reports on 2015 crops? I've been avoiding Amarillo after a bad crop a few years ago but I had a nice Amarillo based IPA recently. How is this years crop?

I'm just bumping this to hopefully get an answer to this question which I also have.

I am a cheap a$$ so I don't buy the popular expensive hops in any large quantities. I recently bought 4 pounds of hops from Hops Direct. It was a buy a pound and get a pound of Pilgrim hops n/c. I don't remember off hand what the others were other than a pound of Magnum. All under $7 per pound!! I have enough for the rest of the year with a few special buys to get exactly what a recipe will call for.

If you can't get the exact hop that you want at last years prices, there are a lot of others from?? that are a great buy.... I am getting great beers without paying $$$$ for the latest popular type...

I'm with you.

Counting the free pound of Pilgrim UK, I got 6 pounds of hops from HopsDirect.com for less than $60 - INCLUDING SHIPPING. I just used 4 oz. of the Pilgrim in an English Old Ale that I brewed today. The hops smelled awesome. Great English character. Might do an English IPA with a big chunk of the rest of the pound (actually 17.5 ounces in the package).

Anyway, my favorite hop to brew pale ales/IPAs with has been Legacy. Great melon and stone fruit flavors, without the punch-you-in-the-face citrus and pine. I've grown a bit tired of traditional American/West Coast IPAs (except for SN Celebration Ale, that is).

I don't know why more homebrewers don't branch out into the cheaper/newer hops. I had gotten a super cheap pound of Calypso a couple years ago, and now it is about $23/pound on HopsDirect. Buy it while it is new and you can get good deals. Wait until it catches fire and you'll pay through the nose.

I'm just bumping this to hopefully get an answer to this question which I also have.

I just got a pound of Amarillo in yesterday so I can't really say...I heard the crop a few years back wasn't very good but I don't know how that equates to this year's. I am hoping the crop is good though.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can get some 2015 Mandarina Bavaria or when it will be available in the US?

I was ordering a few ounces of saphir for a pivo pils clone yesterday and saw that farmhouse had #s of Amarillo. I figured I'd order a # while I had the chance.

Back