2015 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see mine are not the only ones with not quite enough height as far as their supports goes.

Mine are going nuts! Bushing out at the bases, huge verdant growth and dozens of rooting side shoots at each crown. And WAY too close together. :D

Gonna be interesting times keeping the types separate. At least I had the forethought to put the bittering hops to one side (Magnum, Chinook) and the Ale hops off to the other (Golding and Fuggle) Two of each.

I'll post a pic when I find my camera. Dunno where I left it...

The two things I miss the most are my memory and....sumthin' else, it'll come to me! :D

TeeJo

Hops are doing well and starting to flower.

0601151714.jpg

0601151714a.jpg

0601151712.jpg

0527150653.jpg

My hops. The tall pole is at about 14 feet above ground level, the rest are salvaged fence rails that were going to the burn pile, they give me 12 feet above ground.

2 of each Chinook and Magnum on the left, Fuggle and Golding on the right. All growing pretty well, with the bull bines already over the top of the poles on most. I cut down one of the Fuggle bulls, and stuck some cuttings from it into a jug of water to see if they root as easily as the tips do.

Figure I am gonna have to go all brutality on them to cut back some of the low level growth that is currently trying to move in on everything around it. Then again, I should eventually get the rest of my garden in too.

TeeJo

IMG_3351.jpg

Need some help is this the start of a male or am I over reacting it's on my Columbus bines
View attachment 282311
View attachment 282312
View attachment 282313

Give it a few days. If it looks like this, she may be a hermie. The male parts are dead center, the female spur, which eventually was a cone, is on the right.
View attachment 1433365693346.jpg
Some of those look to be the start of your spurs for cones. Some varieties are notorious for putting out both parts when they are stressed (too much/too little water, too much/too little sun, too much/too little nutrients, etc). Give those parts the ol' scissor treatment if they are boy parts. They're likely sterile, though I think I read that nagmay has had success breeding with hermie plants.

Give it a few days. If it looks like this, she may be a hermie. The male parts are dead center, the female spur, which eventually was a cone, is on the right.
View attachment 282320
Some of those look to be the start of your spurs for cones. Some varieties are notorious for putting out both parts when they are stressed (too much/too little water, too much/too little sun, too much/too little nutrients, etc). Give those parts the ol' scissor treatment if they are boy parts. They're likely sterile, though I think I read that nagmay has had success breeding with hermie plants.

Sweet thanks for the info will keep my eyes on them, we are in a week nothing but cold and rain do prolly stressing my Columbus girl out.

View attachment 282320

Real Male hops look like this: They do not have female cones on them.

2015malehop.jpg

Real ladybugs? Have you tried this before? How long do they stick around?

We have those asian beetles in this area that aren't really ladybugs and really do stink terribly.

Real lady bugs purchased at local garden store. Lots of aphids this year. I bought a package of 1500 (don't know who is counting!) and would say I have about 25-50 LBs still left around, and still see aphids... :( I hope they come back or laid some LBs eggs on my hops. My hops are about 16 feet tall in oregon now!

So my Cascade, Chinook and Centennial are doing great with dinner-plate size mature leaves,
and lots of side-arms emerging.

The Chinook won the ~23 foot race to the suspension line on Saturday by a single node over the others.

hops_09jun2015_04.jpg

Just noticed incipient flowers budding. Should have spikes in a day or two...

Cheers!

I have Nugget, Cascade in their second year, Chinook, Columbia in their first, we will see who survives the Texas Summer (Williamette is holding on by a thread from last year). I also planted some beans to help replace the nitrogen in the soil (I read that somewhere not sure exactly what I am doing or how that works). I also have a row of barley coming in nicely!

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

I have Nugget, Cascade in their second year, Chinook, Columbia in their first, we will see who survives the Texas Summer (Williamette is holding on by a thread from last year). I also planted some beans to help replace the nitrogen in the soil (I read that somewhere not sure exactly what I am doing or how that works). I also have a row of barley coming in nicely!

From the bit I have read up on hops (will be planting in the spring), the best way to replace the nitrogen is when they are over wintering. Cut back the bine, and then cover up with some nitrogen enriched covering to help protect it during the winter (might not be an issue in Texas, it can be in Maryland where the last couple of winters we had a few nights get a few degrees negative F). Lets the soil soak up the nitrogen without burning the plants (which can happen with a big heaping of nitrogen addition in the spring/summer).

A farmer I know who is on his 2nd (maybe 3rd?) year of growing 80 bines uses wood chips mixed with a bit of the ground cover from his chicken coop (so it has straw and chicken droppings mixed in). He lays it down in November after he has cut everything back.

Seems to be working, this year his bines are easily 15ft up his trellis and half are nearly ready to harvest with giant cones covering them (his Zeus is almost ready for harvest, the Nuggest and Cascade are at least a month behind on growth).

Eight weeks from breaking ground the view from my 2nd story office is full of hops.

hops_14jun2015_01.jpg

Some of the Chinook bines are nearly 30' long already...

Cheers!

2nd year Columbus has hit the top of the rope. 2nd year Centennial is going much slower.
View attachment 1434314178595.jpg
Root cutting from the Centennial plant is growing much better than expected.
View attachment 1434314185849.jpg
1st year liberty is growing, but pretty thin, and 1st year Chinook is still nowhere to be seen. I'm pretty sure it's dead.

Attachments

• 1434314195861.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 288
What are sidearms? I think mine just started growing them. What do I do with them?

Each point where 2 leaves come out of the main bine is called a node. At each node, sidearms will come out. They look like the main bine, but the sidearms are where your hops flower. Allow those sidearms to do whatever they want.

The two bines are only about 7 feet long right now. Should I train the side arms around the rope? Or let them go where they want?

Train the sidearms that come out of the closest nodes. Let all other sidearms go crazy. 😊

Each point where 2 leaves come out of the main bine is called a node. At each node, sidearms will come out. They look like the main bine, but the sidearms are where your hops flower. Allow those sidearms to do whatever they want.

Oh cool! So it's good that they are happening everywhere! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back