2015 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CcBLfoPVAAAVYgs.jpg:large

Just stood up this beast today. It will be my first time growing hops. I live just north of San Antonio Texas.
The trellis is 11ft tall, 8ft long, and 4ft wide. I have a little bracing left and plan on growing in either 4 pots or building a garden box at the base.
Let me know if you guys have any tips or advice for me.
Thanks!

hops grow like weeds. If you have any intention of making that a permanent setup, I recommend the box over the planters.

I think you will find it a little on the short side. If you tie your hop twine at an angle to the top, from the sides you may be fine. My hops grow over 25' tall. And if you grow only one type you'll be fine or two varieties one on each end, there needs to be about 5' between different varieties.

I want to grow some Cascade, Centennial, and Columbus, but I need to know if they will actually grow disease free in zone 9 Florida, with the high humidity? Has anyone in my area actually grown them successfully?

John

I agree, that may be a little short. It may be OK for first year plants but what I would do is set the plants 10 +/- feet away from it and run coir to the top. you may need to stake it down, not sure how windy it gets by you.

Build the garden beds outside the frame and you'll get a few more feet of length and you'll be able to walk under the hops which might be cool. My first year cascade didn't grow 25' so we shall see how it does in year two.

Anyone else getting hops coming up right before a hard frost? Mine have been poking out of pots and the ground so I might have to water them this weekend and encourage some more growth.

I agree, that may be a little short. It may be OK for first year plants but what I would do is set the plants 10 +/- feet away from it and run coir to the top. you may need to stake it down, not sure how windy it gets by you.

That's not a bad idea.

If I planted them 10' out, I could get another 4' or so of growth.
I plan on throwing some bags of concrete on the base just to weigh it down a bit. Summer winds aren't too bad and it's got the house to the south blocking some of that.

I just saw some of my cascade hops already popping up in Portland, Oregon. This seems way too early, anybody in need of some?

Back